Starter advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menotu

Reaction score
Been brewing for a few months now and decided to try using a starter after reading about them. Well i couldnt find my scale and was rushing to get it going before i headed out the door. I used 4 cups water and 1 cup DME. Boiled 10 mins cooled and added my yeast. Now looking and some things i had saved i feel like that was way to much dme. This is for a partial mash beer with an OG of 1.071 and the yeast used was Wyeast 1272 american ale II. Will this be ok or should i scrap it and start over? any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I started it about 4 hours ago and will be brewing on tuesday morning.

forgot to add i am using a stir plate.

Last edited:
I always use the 10 to 1 rule, 1 gram dme to 10ml of water so for a 1000ml starter you would need 100g of dme. 4 cups of water is about 950ml and if I remember right dme is about 4oz a cup depending on moisture content so that give you around 950ml to 115g so it is a little much

I always use the 10 to 1 rule, 1 gram dme to 10ml of water so for a 1000ml starter you would need 100g of dme. 4 cups of water is about 950ml and if I remember right dme is about 4oz a cup depending on moisture content so that give you around 950ml to 115g so it is a little much

It's a tad high but it will be just fine.

Yes it's a tad high but it's going to be just fine.

ok thanks guys, like i said i thought it was high but wasnt sure if it was at a point that would really cause issues in the beer. found my scale so im set for next time just got me worried

Back