Starter 1,005 after 5 days; any problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
I've made a 1,4L starter (1,032) on the stir plate from a three months old smack pack of Bavarian Lager yeast; It showed no activity whatsoever for three days and then gradually a krausen formed; I left it for another day and then cold crashed it. FG was 1,005 and the spent wort tasted super clean.

I assume there's no problem here but just to check since I left the starter for quite a while on the plate.
Should I have taken it off after 36-48hrs even thought there was no activity?

Today I tood the yeast out of the fridge and put it in 2L 1,040 wort and there is already a small krausen forming. So I guess it was just quite dormant....?

Thanks!

Likely it will be fine.. there is a slight possibility of a "mutation" because what you literally did with the starter is an under pitch. However, since it was a starter on a stir plate, warm and with plenty of Oxygen and nutrients, in my experience (limited, sure) usually you end up with healthy and normal yeast. I think you will be fine. You can often tell by the smell if something is wrong as as well, especially if you are familiar with the strain. Next time you try this, make the gravity of the "recovery" starter less or use less starter wort and consider a two step if you think this might happen.

Back