Started question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcMTL

Reaction score
I searched before posting but couldn't find the info I wanted.

I'm using a 'FestaBrew' kit (23L of pure pasturized wort) that I picked up at my LHBS. For a yeast starter, can I just dump 1~2L of the wort into my primary, pitch yeast, and add the remaining wort 24hrs later?

The remaining wort will remain sealed during the 24hrs; I can recap the bag.

Comments/Suggestions?

EDIT: Should read "Starter question"...sigh

That's an interesting thought, i'm not entirely sure if there are any issues with the size of the fermentor and the amount of space that volume size would take up, however since there is more surface area the oxygen exchange ratio might be greater which would be could for yeast. My only comment would be 24 hours may or maybe not be enough time for the yeast to build up to levels that would make this a beneficiary procedure.

What's the SG of the wort that you bought (seems like cheating to me, you can't really call it your own brew if you didn't make the wort)??

What yeast are you going to pitch in? If the OG of the pre-made wort is low enough, then you can just pitch the yeast into it (in the primary) and let it go to town...

What's the SG of the wort that you bought (seems like cheating to me, you can't really call it your own brew if you didn't make the wort)??

What yeast are you going to pitch in? If the OG of the pre-made wort is low enough, then you can just pitch the yeast into it (in the primary) and let it go to town...

Around 1.046, pitching Wyeast smack pack 3068 at ~65F

That is an excellent question, a yeast starter should not be greater than 1.040 as the gravity would be to great for the yeast to handle and would defeat the purpose!

Around 1.046, pitching Wyeast smack pack 3068 at ~65F

Just smack that sucker, let it inflate, and pitch on into the entire thing... No need for a starter with wort under 1.060...

You might want to go a little warmer on that though... 3068's temperature range is 64-75° F (18-24° C)... Starting at the low end could make for a slooooooow starrrrrrt...

Before you pitch it in, read the info about the yeast on Wyeast's page for that one...

Latest posts

Back