Start brewing with 5 or 10 gallon set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsPlease

Reaction score
I am getting equipment to start brewing at my house and I can't decide if I want to start big with the 10 gallon stuff or not. I like the idea that I can experiment with different yeasts and dry hopping and it sounds like it is just as much work for twice the amount of beer. I have two batches under my belt that I brewed at a friends house and they were both all grain so I reckon I will keep brewing all grain. All I will need different for a 10 gallon set up is a big kettle right? and the spigots at the bottom of some of the big kettles that our vendors sell, doesn't liquid get left in the bottom of them underneath where the spigot is? Thanks :mug:

Personally I would go with a 10 gal. setup. Two reasons here. First it gives you the ability to do 5 or 10 gal batches as you please. Second if you ever want to do any big beers the typical 5 gal setup will be to small for a 5 gal batch. The second reason is what made up my mind for my ag setup.

You'll need atleast a 15 gallon kettle to do full volume boils and you'll need a mash tun big enough to hold all the grain and water for a 10 gallon batch. the stuff that gets left at the bottom of the kettle is stuff you don't want in your beer. after a boil i have all the hops and trub below valve level, not much wort though. so i assume the height is intentional

To me the difference is how much grain you will buy per batch, how much room you want to dedicate to this one hobby, and how much beer you and friends will consume. I really enjoy making 3 gallon batches, which is a little over a case of beer. It lets me try different recipes, taste them, and move on. And while I have three batches fermenting, it takes up only a small amount of space. I use the same 5 gallon stainless steel pot that I use to make chicken soup. I use the same cooler for mashing that I do for fresh lemonade. If I will ever buy kegs it will be 3 gallon kegs. I have too many hobbies to let this one eat up maximum space.

You can get away with 5 gallon partial boil on the stovetop cool with an ice bath but 10 gallon all grain batches will require several pieces of equipment.
* Large kettle or keggle w/ valve
* Banjo burner
* 10 gal MLT
* Imersion chiller or plate chiller
* More fermenters, etc.

You might consider starting w/ all grain BIAB and add additional equipment over time.

You'll need atleast a 15 gallon kettle to do full volume boils and you'll need a mash tun big enough to hold all the grain and water for a 10 gallon batch. the stuff that gets left at the bottom of the kettle is stuff you don't want in your beer. after a boil i have all the hops and trub below valve level, not much wort though. so i assume the height is intentional

Thanks for the quick responses!

would one of those 10 gallon igloo coolers be a big enough mash tun or do people normally go bigger?

Sounds like the kettles with the valves on bottom are the way to go then!

Even if you think you are fine with 5 gal, you never know - for 5 gal batches you will probably have something like 10 gal cooler and 10 gal kettle.
I got 52qt cooler and 10 gal kettle and regret the kettle size - not enough for 10 gal full boil... I wish I had 52 qt and 15 gal - great for both 5 and 10 gal batches

I’d say go with five gallons, I have brewed over 25 batches and only have done two of the same. Plus I enjoy brewing and to drink 10 gallons would take too long between brew days.

I have 10 gallon pots for 5 gallon brews. I have no desire for larger amounts. I would much rather brew another style for choice than to have 10 gallons of one style.

I really like being able to open the fridge and have 5-10 different beers to choose from.

You can get away with 5 gallon partial boil on the stovetop cool with an ice bath but 10 gallon all grain batches will require several pieces of equipment.
* Large kettle or keggle w/ valve
* Banjo burner
* 10 gal MLT
* Imersion chiller or plate chiller
* More fermenters, etc.

You might consider starting w/ all grain BIAB and add additional equipment over time.

BIAB?

10 gallon MLT? Is that the mash tun?

And I see the banjo burner set up can cost about $100 thats good to know.

I have an Imersion chiller that I brought for a 5 gallon setup a couple of days ago. Will that be big enough or would I want to return it and order a big one?

Would you prefer a large kettle or a Keggle? Do y'all normally make the keggle at home or do u have to buy them like that?

I’d say go with five gallons, I have brewed over 25 batches and only have done two of the same. Plus I enjoy brewing and to drink 10 gallons would take too long between brew days.

That was my reasoning too, but...
Right now I want to repeat a sucsessful brew I made in 5 gal batch, but on bigger scale to make sure it lasts a bit. The difference in price is 10gal vs 15gal kettle. I am sure that if I've shoped around for 15 gal (aluminum) kettle it would not be too much, AND it would still be perfect for 5 gal batches

All I will need different for a 10 gallon set up is a big kettle right?

You'll also have to plan what to do after the boil.
split fermentors/big fermentor
moving/storing fermentors
even bottling/kegging means you need twice the amount available at one time.

Thanks for the helpful insight guys. I've decided to build a 10 gal setup especially since I can still do 5 gal batches if I want. I have an itching to do a lot of experimenting too so 10 gal setup is gonna be nice

Back