Starsan issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I used starsan to sanitize my carboy. I didn't worry about the left over bubbles as everyone says. Well I aerated the wort for about 25 minutes with an aquarium pump and airstone prior to pitching the yeast, and these bubbles went crazy. Bubbles filled the carboy and snaked out of the top and over the side. I am pretty sure they are starsan related as they looked like it and were oddly stiff. I broke the snake off at the top and waited for it to subside a bit before pitching. The airlock finally started to bubble a bit 16 hours after pitching. The void above the wort is filled with these bubbles though. Should I be worried? Is this normal? I think I will rinse with pre boiled water next time. Hopefully when I rack to a secondary to dry hop, the bubbles stay behind.

image-3534938992.jpg

Thanks for the replies. When I said I didn't worry about the foam I meant when there were just some bubbles at the bottom of the carboy before filling with wort, not when the fermenting carboy is filled with overflowing bubbles that keep filling my airlock and popping the top off. Maybe I should have used a blowoff tube, never had too before but I used to use bleach to sanitize. I figured that a 6.5 gallon carboy had plenty if space for a 5 gallon batch, but didn't plan on the starsan effect. I hope the bubbles subside prior to bottling, because if my bottles have a layer of bubbles on the top then I will fear the bubbles! The bubbles havent subsided at all, but it's only been 3 days of fermenting.

I may be wrong, but I don't see how rinsing with preboiled water causes the starsan to lose effectiveness. Directions say let sit for one minute while wet and let air dry. If it sits for awhile, it should be sanitized, do how does rinsing with preboiled water unsanitize it?

I may be wrong, but I don't see how rinsing with preboiled water causes the starsan to lose effectiveness. Directions say let sit for one minute while wet and let air dry. If it sits for awhile, it should be sanitized, do how does rinsing with preboiled water unsanitize it?

I'm not exactly sure why it says to let it air dry. I looked on my bottle and right after it says to air dry it says "Do not rinse after application." My guess and this is only a guess is that star san is for sanitizing more stuff then just brewing equipment like counters at resturants and places like that make food and need to be sanitzed and they don't want you to take a towl and wipe it dry.

starsan is a wet contact sanitizer that losses half it's effectiveness when dry. rinsed off it has none. You don't let it dry. Idophore is the one that has to dry 1st.

starsan is a wet contact sanitizer that losses half it's effectiveness when dry. rinsed off it has none. You don't let it dry. Idophore is the one that has to dry 1st.

On the bottle it says "for all applications allow to air dry (but surface must remain wet for at least one minute)." I Never let it dry and use all my equipment when it is still wet though and have never had an issue.

I just put a Honey Ale into a secondary and that had Star San bubbles on top for maybe 12 hours, not exactly sure of the time, but they are gone now. From what I've read on here, just relax, the bubbles are fine.

This is the secondary as it looks today, but it wasnt much different than yours when I sealed it up.

DSC01946.jpg

On the bottle it says "for all applications allow to air dry (but surface must remain wet for at least one minute)." I Never let it dry and use all my equipment when it is still wet though and have never had an issue.

Even with try focals,that tiny writing on the bottle is tough to see. But that drying depends on what it's being used on at any rate. I use it wet too,& never a problem. Def easier than that bottle of sodium percarbonate I used the first time.

I just put a Honey Ale into a secondary and that had Star San bubbles on top for maybe 12 hours, not exactly sure of the time, but they are gone now. From what I've read on here, just relax, the bubbles are fine.

This is the secondary as it looks today, but it wasnt much different than yours when I sealed it up.

DSC01946.jpg

You, sir, have mad duct tape skills. :rockin:

I had the same situation as you when I moved my barley wine to secondary. I put a quart or so of StarSan solution in my better bottle and shook it around to make sure everything was nice and "starsanitized" and dumped the rest. The shaking created a lot of foam/bubbles. I just racked on top...err...under it and had quite a foam snake going. It's been setting in a closet for a little over four months now and looks quite happy. The moral of the story is...the foam is your friend.

You, sir, have mad duct tape skills. :rockin:

I had the same situation as you when I moved my barley wine to secondary. I put a quart or so of StarSan solution in my better bottle and shook it around to make sure everything was nice and "starsanitized" and dumped the rest. The shaking created a lot of foam/bubbles. I just racked on top...err...under it and had quite a foam snake going. It's been setting in a closet for a little over four months now and looks quite happy. The moral of the story is...the foam is your friend.

LOL, thanks. I use it mainly to hold the tubes in place, but I screwed up drilling my stopper, so the duct tape is on there too. :D

Back