Starsan In Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyoun1e

Reaction score
So, in my scramble to fix my blow off top situation today the homebrew store guy took a look at my airlock and said it felt funny. I told him I had put starsan in there as instructed. He informed me that I don't put starsan...alone...you're supposed to put the starsan/water solution.

I think I misunderstood.

Is that correct?

If yes, ugh. The homebrew guy indicated that this could cause "off flavors." Not sure how that would be possible...how could the starsan seep back into the fermenter?

Hoping that's not an issue.

Thanks

Starsan concentrate on an airlock isn't a great idea. You are correct that the starsan/water sanitizing solution should be in there.

As for off flavors, the solution in an airlock can get sucked back into the fermenter during temperature changes or moving the fermentor. The only airlock that doesn't do this is the double bubbler which has two airlocks essentially.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

I've read threads here where people rack onto gallons of solution on accident and the beers turn out okay. Not great but okay.

You won't know til bottling so relax until then and keep at it.

Starsan concentrate on an airlock isn't a great idea. You are correct that the starsan/water sanitizing solution should be in there.

As for off flavors, the solution in an airlock can get sucked back into the fermenter during temperature changes or moving the fermentor. The only airlock that doesn't do this is the double bubbler which has two airlocks essentially.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

I've read threads here where people rack onto gallons of solution on accident and the beers turn out okay. Not great but okay.

You won't know til bottling so relax until then and keep at it.

Well that's not the best of news.

I haven't moved the fermentor and the temp has been pretty stable.

So based on what you're saying, wouldn't this same risk exist for the startsan/water mixture?

Thanks

It would, but since it's greatly diluted, that's a drop or two of starsan going into your beer vs a tablespoon.

Well that's not the best of news.

I haven't moved the fermentor and the temp has been pretty stable.

So based on what you're saying, wouldn't this same risk exist for the startsan/water mixture?

Thanks

Yes, the risk is still there but a half oz of the solution in the airlock contains very little starsan by comparison. If it makes it into the beer, it gets further diluted still. It's negligible when you take into account that starsan is no rinse. The quantity on 50+ bottles for a 5 gallon batch is much higher and does not harm the flavor at all.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Refill the airlock with the correct concentration and keep going as you normally would. There is no way to know what's happened until you're ready to taste it.

When you're not familiar with a product, it's advised to read the instructions...

Would you put a gallon of laundry detergent into the wash?

I'm pretty sure your beer is OK, but you be the judge how much concentrate could have made it into your beer. A drop or 2 won't be a big deal, a tablespoon would be a different story.

Relax and have a home brew. It could have been worse. No sanitizer would be worse going into your fermenting beer, I would surmise.

Yes starsan is a acid sanitizer and needs to be diluted with water every time you use it. If you filled the airlock up to the proper line then it probably didn't get in you beer, but at that concentration the fumes could theoretically have gotten in. If just fumes though, probably not enough to notice any off flavors. Starsan is made with an acid and a surfactant. Many people spray it all over their equipment and then add wort etc, so if it wasn't safe to have trace amounts in your beer then we would have heard about it by now. To be sure I don't get starsan sucked back into my fermentor, I use 80 proof liquor in my airlock, whatever I have available with the exception of gin since the aromatics could flavor my beer.

+1
An s-shaped airlock filled correctly to the line will never suck back the liquid into the fermenter.
A 3-piece airlock is a different story... negative pressure can suck liquid into the fermenter.

I use vodka or grain alcohol in my airlock after I arm done using a blow off tube. I found that the star san solution would bubble out after a few days.

Latest posts

Back