Star-San vs. Iodophor - FIGHT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Sanitizer

• Star-San

• Iodophor

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've used both quite a bit. I prefer star san by a slim margin.

They both work fine but star san tastes better when you are siphoning it and accidentally get it in your mouth.

SwAMi75 said:
Heh....he has since declared "bubbles be damned" and become a diehard StarSan convert :D Converted me, too, although I still have some Iodophor on hand. I'm not afraid to use it, but StarSan is just easier.

But after reading his "bubbles be damned post" they made a low bubble version for him. I still use Idophor for sanitizing carboys only because I have a bunch left

I use Star San because:

1) unlike Iodophor it is non toxic.

2) the foam is good.

3) it is non staining and if SWMBO finds stains in her natural stone I'd be DEAD.

4) the foam is good.

5) very short contact time.

6) the foam is good.

I originally voted Iodophor but have since been converted. All it took was to listen to Charley Talley talk about the stuff (Star-san) on the Brewing Network and I was hooked.

Star-san all the way.
Don't fear the foam.
How can anyone say it is expensive when it can be used indefinatly as long as the ph is 3 or lower. I have 3 8oz bottles that I bought last year and I still have 1 oz from my first bottle left over.
Iodophor... I have some still but don't want to use it due to it staining my plastic primarys.
Don't fear the foam. Low contact time and no-rinse.

It's all star-san in my brewery now. Up yours, bleach. You've started too many arguments on these forums!

I do hate that foam, however. Does rinsing star-san away have any detrimental effect? Like if I give my carboy a quick rinse to get rid of the foam before I rack into it? Or do I really need to let everything dry completely?

Before I started using Star San I did some research and found that many people don't allow for any drying time and rack right on top of the foam, have been doing it for years, and state that there are no off flavors. If you let the foam settle completely (not sure it will ever be all gone) if could take hours and possibly negate the sanitation process.

I am like you and was concerned with the excess sanitizer so I adopted a middle of the road approach. I let my fermenters dry but no longer than about an hour before I'm going to fill them. This way all the liquid is gone and very little of the foam remains. In the years I've been using this method, I've had no sanitation issues.

I wouldn't rinse the remaining foam out either. I think you're better off with a little extra sanitizer in your brew than what might be in your water.

:mug:

I've used one step since I started brewing and despite one (self inflicted) incident, have had only good results.

Surley having to wait for the foam to dissapate or at least partialy diassapate negates the advantage pf minimal contact time. Properly diluted iodophor can be shaken from the sanitised article and used imedeately and even if you allowed it it drip dry it takes very little time.
I really wouldnt fancy racking something I intend on drinking onto the residual foam of a sanitising solution.
If I was pressed to do that i'd use bleached rinsed with water followed by a neutralising rinse with a (no rinse) sodium metabisulphite solution, at least thats regularly used in beer as a preservative.

I don't understand what y'all think is so wrong with a few bubbles? How are a few good air bubbles/foam going the affect the flavor of the beer any more than the solution itself would?

BTW, I've been using star san for over a year now and I don't rinse and rack right onto the foam and whatever residual sanitizer is in there and I have no problems/off flavors.

Here's my .02 - I know two professional brewers, and they both use star san exclusively. I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

As for the foam issue, I just shake out what I can and don't worry about the rest. That gets the vast majority of it out. As long as it's at the proper concentration you won't have any off flavors.

Dude said:
I originally voted Iodophor but have since been converted. All it took was to listen to Charley Talley talk about the stuff (Star-san) on the Brewing Network and I was hooked.

I was about to post that too ;).

Since star san is a cleanser, it will break up, and sanitize, gunk that that Iodophor cannot reach. This doesn't mean that you don't have to clean your equipment when using star san, but you have a better chance in case it's not perfectly clean.

I'll be using star san once my Iodophor is gone.

Kai

Kaiser said:
I was about to post that too ;).

Since star san is a cleanser, it will break up, and sanitize, gunk that that Iodophor cannot reach. This doesn't mean that you don't have to clean your equipment when using star san, but you have a better chance in case it's not perfectly clean.

I'll be using star san once my Iodophor is gone.

Kai
Huh?

Everything I've read says that although Star-San is an excellent no-rinse fooe grade sanitizer, it has virtually NO cleaning capabilities.

how do you guys determine your ppm for idophor? I am not sure what the color should look like in a carboy at the approp. strength.

AHammer16 said:
how do you guys determine your ppm for idophor? I am not sure what the color should look like in a carboy at the approp. strength.

I measure mine with a syringe and add to 5 gal.

Kai

bikebryan said:
Huh?

Everything I've read says that although Star-San is an excellent no-rinse fooe grade sanitizer, it has virtually NO cleaning capabilities.

This information comes from Five Star. Looks for the Sanitation show in the archive of The Brewing Network (thebrewingnetwork.com)

Kai

I use Star San. The foaming kinda sucks, but I have racked many beers and wine into a carboy loaded with the foam and have noticed no off flavors. Evidently there is Saniclean Sanitizer that has similar characteristics to Star San but does not foam. Has anyone used it? It is about the same cost, but you have to use 2 oz per 5 gallons and it needs a two minute contact time.

Kaiser said:
This information comes from Five Star. Looks for the Sanitation show in the archive of The Brewing Network (thebrewingnetwork.com)

Kai
I've been to the Five Star website. The tech sheet indicates that StarSan is good for sanitizing, but also specifically mentions that first the item must be cleaned thoroughly BEFORE applying. That pretty much implies that StarSan is not a cleaner!

I'm a PBW man myself, and prefer Iodophor for sanitation, but whatever floats our boats makes us happy.

AHammer16 said:
My bottles of Iodophor tell you how to measure. They state that you use one capful per 2.5 gallons of water to get a 12.5ppm solution, needed for no-rinse sanitizing.

bikebryan said:
I've been to the Five Star website. The tech sheet indicates that StarSan is good for sanitizing, but also specifically mentions that first the item must be cleaned thoroughly BEFORE applying. That pretty much implies that StarSan is not a cleaner!

Keep reading that tech sheet, dude.

Below that part you mention is this:

COMPLIANCE

STAR SAN is authorized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for use as a general cleaning agent in official meat, poultry, rabbit, and egg processing establishments.

That pretty much explicitly claims that it is a cleaner.

As for the part you mention, it says that items must be cleaned and rinsed prior to sanitizing with STAR SAN, but it does NOT say what you have to clean the thign with. You are free to clean it with STAR SAN and then sanitize it with STAR SAN.

-walker

I've frequently used Star-San for light cleaning duties without any issues. As Kaiser mentions the foaming action will penetrate just about everywhere is you give the item to be cleansed/sanitized a good shake, and the foam seems to have excellent surfactant action.

I've been alternating between Iodophor and bleach water. Except for on the SS stuff, obviously. I was told by a guy at the local brew shop that switching kills the nasties that adapt to one method or the other. Maybe that's too paranoid, but it's easy and cheap enough so I do it.

I've considered trying the Star San as an alternate on the SS, but I remember reading something on the website saying that extended contact with SS could cause it to corrode.

Anybody have any info supporting this or to the contrary?

I am guessing that this is a situation similar to the product One Step. For those who don't know, One Step is OFFICIALLY not a sanitizer. However, for those who remember... can't recall where it is here... we found out that there is a lengthy process to be offically labeled as a sanitizer. And cost a pretty penny too. One Step does a very good job sanitizing.

Like I said.... no idea... but it could be something along those lines with Star San and cleaning at any rate.

Looks like in this old poll from 2005, Iodophor got the nod over Star San. I wonder if that would change if the current crowd were to add their votes.

As it stands at this point, there are 60 votes for Star San, 82 for Iodophor, and 26 for Other.

I am a fan of star-san !

Iododor it potentially lethal for me !

that and the fact the you can put it in a spray bottle and sanitize many other things as well.

-billtzk great job on this find !-

-Jason

Iodophor on everything stainless -- < $30 for a gallon undiluted.
Bleach w/a hit of vinegar (highly toxic if not carefully handled) for sanitizing chiller lines.
Easy Clean for quick stuff like a wine thief or racking cane.

While I use starsan exclusivly, if your sanitizing any metal including stainless, it would be best to go with iodine.

Choose which sanitizer you use. Post why you use it, including your list of pros and cons.
I've been an Idophor fan for years. A quart bottle lasts me a long time and it's easy to use. At $15 a quart (LHBS price) it's a very inexpensive sanitizer it also is very effective and a good no rinse sanitizer.

I have used both. I always scared I'm gonna stain something with the Idophor. Love the Star-San foam. As far as the price....if that was why I was homebrewing was to worry about the cost of something as important as sanitation....then I would just by Budwiper and drink that.....

I like Star San for other reasons besides as a sanitizer. I use it as an acid wash on my equipment that I clean with percarbonate, after rinsing the percarbonate solution out with hot water. The acid will neutralize the alkalinity if there is any still present, and the Star San wash has removed stains on my brewpot that the alkaline solution didn't.

I use star san. Never used idophor. I always have a spray bottle handy and use it to sanitize my beer faucets, drinking water faucet, and countertops when cooking. It can be spendy depending on where you buy it, I think next time I'll just order the big jug online.

I like Star San for other reasons besides as a sanitizer. I use it as an acid wash on my equipment that I clean with percarbonate, after rinsing the percarbonate solution out with hot water. The acid will neutralize the alkalinity if there is any still present, and the Star San wash has removed stains on my brewpot that the alkaline solution didn't.

It's also great at cleaning mineral deposits off, and kills ants instantly.

I've gotten into the habit of using star-san exclusively. No major reason. Staining was the only small issue.

I still think this discussion sounds like the title of a Japanese monster film.

I voted for iodophor because that's the one I use. But to be fair I've never tried Star San yet, but I probably will eventually. One thing I wanted to comment on: people keep mentioning the color and odor of iodophor as a "con". But I like this because being able to see it helps me know if I need to add more or if I need to dilute it down a bit. Aside from the bubbles they say Star San gives off, how do you even know you've added it if it's colorless and odorless? If you're like me and would forget your head if it came unattached, that's a legitimate question.

Where's the 'both' option? I have a slight preference for Star-San, but I really do use both fairly interchangeably...

Back