Star San off flavor due to spray bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameronbrown

Reaction score
So I know it's been discussed that Star San really doesn't produce any significant flavor characteristics in fear... "don't fear the foam"

I recently had a batch turn out with a bit of a plastic aftertaste so I tastes the starsan in my ZEP spray bottle... EXACT SAME TASTE.

How long do you leave starsan in your spray bottles? When I mix up a fresh batch it's tasteless, but after sitting in the plastic bottle for a week or so it seems to leach the plastic flavors from the bottle.

Any suggestions short of mixing up a new batch every week?

Does anybody use a stainless sprayer?

Any similar experiences?

I keep starsan in my spray bottles continuously, and haven't noticed any plastic flavors coming from it. The conventional wisdom is that left sealed in the bottle it will last indefinitely. But now I am going to taste it to see.

Is it possible the bottle is made of a plastic that reacts to starsan? I'm not a plastics guy, so I don't know. The bottles I use say HDPE and have the number 2 in the recycle symbol. Also, is it possible this was the first use of the bottle and it wasn't washed first?

Plastic flavors are more often a sign of chlorine/chloramine in your brewing water. Keep us posted on what you discover!

Thanks for the reply.

Our water in Vancouver has almost nothing in it, including chlorine, so i don't think it's a chloro-phenol issue. I rinsed out the ZEP bottles with hot water about 3 times with some vigerouse shaking, but I'm guessing they still leeched a bit of nastiness in.

I went out and tasted some from a bottle I filled a few days ago though, and so far no gross taste.

I haven't noticed any off flavors in the ZEP spray bottles, and have used them in pro-am and homebrew settings.

If you are using municipal water, I would be tempted to bet that there is chlorine or chloramine in it. It's to keep the whole system sanitary.

I usually keep my starsan in my spray bottle until it's all used up. Sometimes that can be a week, other times 3-4 months. I've never had any issues with plastic off-flavors. I would suggest using bottled water, as this will surely mitigate the issue.

I just Googled and 4 ppm is standard so you have half that much. I would say it is enough to cause the off flavor.

I have never tested my water, I don't treat for chlorine/chloramine. I use a charcoal filter though. I have never had a problem. I read an article that my town's water is rated the best in my region.

Following this, I've been chasing a plastic-y flavor in my batches for a while. Originally thought it was chloramines/chlorine but I've been using RO Water, I've got campden in every batch.

I'm beginning to suspect my stale Star San as well. Next round of kegging I'm planning on mixing a fresh batch of StarSan with RO water as the base. If that clears it up, I'll report back.

I use SOLO Compressed mist bottle for starsan and it's ultra convenient.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BX4VXI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I to have been noticing a plasticy taste after recently switching to starsan. Bump

To be clear, in my post I'm still suggesting it's either my bottle (which I spray from) or the water I'm mixing my Star San with. Given the amount of people using Star San, I can't possibly believe it's actually the chemical (when mixed appropriately) that is causing the flavors.

My thinking is that mixing 1) a fresh batch immediately when I sanitize 2) mixing it using my RO Water source -- will eliminate all possibilities of the process by which I make and use the sanitizer to be the culprit for off flavors.

Back