Star San in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
After my first brew I heard some people advocate using Star San in the airlock rather than water. Yesterday, since I bought Star San for my second batch, I decided to try it.

This morning, the airlock had foam bubbling through the lid of the air lock. At first I thought, oh crap, she's gonna blow! Then I remembered the Star San, took a closer look, and realized it was just the sanitizer foaming up due to CO2 activity.

So now I'm wondering, first, is this normal when using Star San in the air lock. And also, should I take the air lock out and replace the Star San with water? Or just leave it to froth away?

It doesn't look like it'll make a mess, but I wanted to check. Thanks!

Whoa, that was like superman speed reply. :rockin: Thanks, Revvy.

ON a unrelated note, I *love* Star San! It made the brew day soooooo much easier. I think that bottle of it I bought will last for years. I filled a 1 gallon bottle of distilled water with 6 ML of Star San, and we only used a fraction of that so far. :ban:

You are using diluted StarSan correct? I use it, the bubbles make it obvious it's degassing.

You are using diluted StarSan correct? I use it, the bubbles make it obvious it's degassing.

Oh yeah, definitely diluted. We bought a gallon of distilled water so we could save the dilution and keep using it for a few batches. The spray bottle + Star San was like a God send.

I use it in my airlock too. Not only does it foam, but I also get a faint whistle. Beer making should involve all 5 senses.

I use cheap,grocery store vodka in my airlocks. Saw a video where Gary from home brewer tv did it. The lil nasties that do get in it die of alcohol poisoning. & if reverse pressure sucks it into the FV,it won't be noticed by taste or smell. And it doesn't foam,or evaporate very fast.

Now that I know the bubbling out of the top of the airlock is normal, I don't much mind it. It hasn't spilled off the airlock; it just sort of bubbles up, then they pop, and more come out.

I might use vodka in the future if have it around, or else the Star San. Either way seems good, and either is better than water I guess.

I know I am bumping an old thread, but at least it proves that I searched some before asking a question.

10 years ago when I was brewing and making wine I only used tap water (from a well no less). I never had a problem. Now I hear all this talk about using vodka or star san in the air lock. While that is probably a good idea, it got me to wondering: Has anyone ever had an infected fermentation that they could trace to the water in the air lock?

I know I am bumping an old thread, but at least it proves that I searched some before asking a question.

10 years ago when I was brewing and making wine I only used tap water (from a well no less). I never had a problem. Now I hear all this talk about using vodka or star san in the air lock. While that is probably a good idea, it got me to wondering: Has anyone ever had an infected fermentation that they could trace to the water in the air lock?

Tap water works just fine. What I do (since I use a 2 piece airlock that can get suck back) is put my carboy in the water bath that I always use to minimize temp swings during fermentation, pitch the yeast, and put the sanitized airlock on with nothing in it at first while the wort continues to cool slightly in the water bath. Then an hour or a few hours later, whenever I get around to it, I pour some water it. Hell, you could probably take a whiz in it and that would work fine too, but not a whole lot of point to that I suppose:D

Nah, I never did have a problem with tap water, but since I have a ton of star san around anyway, seemed a simple matter and not something to worry over. Either way. :D

Back