Stanley Cup Playoffs 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy smokes, that was ugly. That was not the same Penguins tonight...
*silent*

Sorry Pens, Detroit has another gear, and it's mental. You guys are young and have potential, but not this year.

I don't think Fleury is their #1 for the future. And yes, Helm is the real deal, and will be a grinding force for years to come.

Sorry Pens, Detroit has another gear, and it's mental. You guys are young and have potential, but not this year.

I don't think Fleury is their #1 for the future. And yes, Helm is the real deal, and will be a grinding force for years to come.

yes that was definately an ugly game for the pens, i have no idea what the hell was going on by taking all those dumb penalties. if they didn't take those penalties it would have been a much closer game, but its too late now. and that game wasnt really fleurys fault at all. he did make some great saves in the game, at least 2 or 3 of those goals he was screened pretty bad so you cant blame him for them. and the other goals were just good plays and really any goalie probably had no chance at. i don't think he was feeling very confident when his teamates were taking those dumb penalties and not helping him out very much.

yes that was definately an ugly game for the pens, i have no idea what the hell was going on by taking all those dumb penalties. if they didn't take those penalties it would have been a much closer game, but its too late now. and that game wasnt really fleurys fault at all. he did make some great saves in the game, at least 2 or 3 of those goals he was screened pretty bad so you cant blame him for them. and the other goals were just good plays and really any goalie probably had no chance at. i don't think he was feeling very confident when his teamates were taking those dumb penalties and not helping him out very much.

That was the feeling I had, too. Fleury played pretty well, but he was getting no help from his team. In the second period, there were about 3 back-to-back power plays and they left him hanging. The Penguins totally lost their composure, and were making some terrible moves that gave them costly penalties. They were definitely rattled. I suspect things will be different on Tuesday night.

yeah i expect them to come out with a strong forcheck and lots of hits. they definately need to try and take the guys off the pucks instead of the other way around which is why they got beat a lot last game. but im assuming itll be a better effort from everyone considering you cant get much worse. should be a great game but i think this is goin to game 7 no matter what anyone says.

I don't know. That was pretty embarassing. I think they might be feeling that Detroit is just possibly WAY better. I know that they can't continue to give dumb penalties and expect to win. My other feeling is that they won't be looking to place extra hits in the next game, and will instead be focusing on controlling the middle and handling the puck. You know, the stuff that got them the wins?

well they did do a great job controlling the middle but they also through a lot of hits mostly on the forcheck, and they wore out their defense. the had pretty much the same amount of hits from game 4 to game 5. idk i think after the first 5-10 minutes of game 5 they got away from their game plan and completely lost control of the game by taking stupid penalties. and sometimes instead of making that second or third pass they need to shoot the puck when they have the chance, get the most shots on goal as possible, and create some chances that way. but hopefully crosby, malkin, and staal will come out firing on all cylinders tomorrow night.

I noticed Detroit was more on their puck control , instead of trying to force a play through the Pens they dropped the puck back to the D and started again . They seemed to be panicky in game 4 especially .

Darn. I'm brewing tonight. I hope I can get it done before puck drops! My friend is helping and he doesn't watch sports. I'm sure he'll have plenty of computer/politics/religion to discuss while I'm brewing and watching the game.

Darn. I'm brewing tonight. I hope I can get it done before puck drops! My friend is helping and he doesn't watch sports. I'm sure he'll have plenty of computer/politics/religion to discuss while I'm brewing and watching the game.

Tell him to shut his trap and watch hockey!

Bah, we've only just started brewing and already he's yakking on and on about his phone and asking about mine and blah blah blah. I just want to focus on the brewing.

Well I don't expect him to be a willing part of the hockey, but we're BREWING! Come ON!

Well, we are just mashing in and I suspect we will still be here when the puck drops. I just want to eat food, drink beer and scream at the tv...

So I'm seeing all of these promos that NBC is running during the breaks...

Holy Moly, do people actually watch this crap?

Just like game 4 as far as Pittsburgh swarming and breaking up passes in the first half of the game. Wings got it together in the third. Looking forward to Friday!!!!

Detroit didn't come to play, plain and simple. Hopefully they show up at home. Be careful what you wish for Pittsburgh.

I don't think it's Detroit not coming to play. Give the Pens credit. They controlled the tempo for the first 30 minutes. It evened out the last half and Osgood kept the Wings in the game.

I don't think it's Detroit not coming to play. Give the Pens credit. They controlled the tempo for the first 30 minutes. It evened out the last half and Osgood kept the Wings in the game.

+1

CBC's coverage will be much better than NBC/VS. However, you will not have Doc doing the play by play.

i dont mind the play-by-play for nbc, i just don't like the color guy.

wings loooked slow and jerky for most of the game but had the chance to tie if it weren't for scuderi(sp?).

I'm glad the pens got their heads together last night. Both sides were controlled. Fairly even keeled game. Enjoyable. The NHL dream of the 7 game series has been granted.

Pretty even game, even though I had to listen for almost all of it due to brewing. Sounded like the Pens were focusing on the game this time. Hopefully they get distracted by a game 7 and lose their composure on Friday!

Friday, when I will be at my daughters' dance recital until late... dammt.

I like the outcome of the game, but I hate Cox Communications!!! I set the game to record since I'd be home late and then eat and put my son to bed. I go to watch the game and it's like trying to listen to a cd that has been all scratched up. The picture is all pixelated and jumpy and the sound is even worse!!! It only seemed to be the first 25-30 stations. All the higher stations were fine. Curse NBC... why couldn't this have been on Vs? :)

I like the outcome of the game, but I hate Cox Communications!!! I set the game to record since I'd be home late and then eat and put my son to bed. I go to watch the game and it's like trying to listen to a cd that has been all scratched up. The picture is all pixelated and jumpy and the sound is even worse!!! It only seemed to be the first 25-30 stations. All the higher stations were fine. Curse NBC... why couldn't this have been on Vs? :)

Even though I did NOT like the outcome of the game, I do agree that I also wish it could have been on VS. As much as I never thought I'd be saying that at the start of the playoffs.

NBC at least seems to have figured out the camera angles finally! The one Pen's game they covered a few weeks ago they had great replay angles, but terrible live viewing.

Their announcers on the other hand are awful, with the constant useless info like 'if the 4th lines, left side defensemen gets an assist with 1 minute left in the 1st period there is a 46.3218989% chance that I will have turkey for dinner.'

The last 2 games I muted the TV, delayed the video 10sec with the DVR and listened to WXDX.com which is the radio station for the Pen's in PGH with great exciting announcer Mike Lang.

PS> OMG Go PENGUINS!!!

Homie, buddy...

Your boys had a chance to clinch and you didn't watch the game?

My boys always have a chance to clinch it! And I learned a long time ago that I get too worked up over games and it's not good for my sleep or attitude.

I'm just enjoying the games more nowadays. I try and pay attention to what's going on away from the puck, who's on the other team, etc. I have noticed that many times the other teams fans see an entirely different play happen than what I see. More are blind to their own teams failings, and never miss a chance to complain about the calls, or something their opponents did against their beloved team.

Detroit should have played better in games 3 and 4 anyway. For whatever reason they played flat and Pens came out strong. So, whoever wins on Friday deserves to win, and whoever doesn't deserves to go out and play some golf and avoid the press.

You can't say that either team did not have a challenging post season and didn't give it their all. That's all I ask from my boys.

The commentators on NBC the other night were tools. Complaining that the Wings weren't hitting enough? No **** they weren't! Zetterberg got a penalty for interference because Staal pushed him into Fleury! Ray Charles could've saw that. :rolleyes:

Neither team's lost at home. Pittsburg better watch their asses tomorrow, I'm sure the refs will have their whistles at the ready.

All I know is that my stomach already hurts.:(

At least a game 7 will generate a little revenue for Detroit.

Back