Stand-up mixer for a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acsmith

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a KitchenAid (or any other stand-up mixer) to make a yeast starter? If I sanitize the bowl and the whisk attachment, could I just whisk the yeast with the starter wort for while and pitch? How long do you generally stir the starter for?

Currently making pizza with a Rogue PacMac cake. Updates on that in a few hours.

I've thought of trying to make a poolish with some hefe or Belgian yeast, always wondered how it would taste.

In theory your mixer idea would work. You would need to find a way to keep the bowl covered while the orbital mixing head was doing its thing though, and that might be a little tricky. Another consideration is you want to run a stir plate a good 12-18 hours and your sanity might be challenged to listen to a KA run for that long...not to mention the electricity cost and wear and tear on an expensive kitchen tool.

Back