Stalling issue need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
so now that I’m on the island of Guam and I’m up and running I have brewed 3 beers but 2 stoped at 1.020 with 1 stopping at 1.025.

Never had this issue before and I am brewing exact same way I did in Washington only now I use a different mash tun (used to be a cooler now it’s the ss infusion, but I still hit numbers spot on), and I now use RO water with minor salts as called for in bru’n water. All 3 I built nice big starters (2L to harvest half for later and half for the brew)

The 3 different yeast I used was:
WY 1318 (OG 1.057, stopped at 1.025 in a NEIPA mashed at 152)
Danstar nottingham (OG 1.053 stopped at 1.020 on a pale ale mashed at 148
)
US-04 (OG 1.055 stopped at 1.020 in a blonde mashed at 148)

I realize all 3 are English strains but I have never had any of those stop so high my usual is about 1.014-1.016 I ferment all 3 at 67 and ramp to 70 after about 6-7 days and I take measurements with a refractometer every day after 6.

So I guess my question is can the RO water with salts be having some effect on the fermentation or can there be some other causal effect I am not to sure of?

My next beer will be using 1085 Irish ale and I want to know if I need to adjust something else to ensure a good healthy fermentation happens and I get down to the drier side

So I guess my question is can the RO water with salts be having some effect on the fermentation or can there be some other causal effect I am not to sure of?

The water and salts shouldn't make a difference unless something is way out of ordinary.
Firstly, how are you measuring FG? Have you, maybe, changed to using a refractometer, which isn't accurate for FG without using a calculator for adjustment?
Otherwise, try checking your thermometer. Could it be reading low, so mash temps were higher than you thought?
Have there been big temperature swings that could cause the yeast to give up?

The water and salts shouldn't make a difference unless something is way out of ordinary.
Firstly, how are you measuring FG? Have you, maybe, changed to using a refractometer, which isn't accurate for FG without using a calculator for adjustment?
Otherwise, try checking your thermometer. Could it be reading low, so mash temps were higher than you thought?
Have there been big temperature swings that could cause the yeast to give up?
Refractometer beer is at 71 degrees so no need in a calf
Using 2 different calibrated thermometers to get the temp
No big swings

I have both a refractometer and a hydrometer they damn near identical readings on one of the beers as I wanted to see if for some reason 1 was off, and it’s not

This truly has me stumped, I even test the starter to see the fg is where it should be before crashing and decanting

Like Gnomebrewer said, when using a refract on fermented wort/beer, you have to correct the reading. This is because of the alcohol present, not the temp. I ran your numbers for the NEIPA throught the calc on Brewer's Friend and got 1.007 for the corrected FG. Do the beers taste overly sweet?

Latest posts

Back