Stalled / Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich711

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question regarding my honey brown ale. After pitching the yeast in the primary fermenter (a brew pail) and sealing it up, no airlock bubbling evidence of fermentation was observed after many days. :(

I then tried shaking the brew up over several hours and did get a very slow rate of bubbling for quite a few days. I am soon to move the honey brown from the primary to secondary fermenter (5 Gal. carboy). If the (FG) is not in the correct range, should I consider re-pitching the beer in the secondary fermenter?

The (OG) was 1.050. If re-pitching is an option, at what hydrometer reading should I decide to re-pitch?

I have a question regarding my honey brown ale. After pitching the yeast in the primary fermenter (a brew pail) and sealing it up, no airlock bubbling evidence of fermentation was observed after many days. :(

I then tried shaking the brew up over several hours and did get a very slow rate of bubbling for quite a few days. I am soon to move the honey brown from the primary to secondary fermenter (5 Gal. carboy). If the (FG) is not in the correct range, should I consider re-pitching the beer in the secondary fermenter?

The (OG) was 1.050. If re-pitching is an option, at what hydrometer reading should I decide to re-pitch?

The only way to know if your beer is done fermenting is to take a hydrometer reading. Go do that and then report back what the current gravity of the beer is and what should be your anticipated FG.

Also, it is ok to leave your beer in primary for several weeks to allow the beer to finish fermenting and allow the yeast to clean up after themselves. Some people don't even use a secondary unless dry hopping and other dry hop in primary.

Back