Stainless Steel Control Cabinet Back Plate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm in the process of putting together all the pieces to build a single tier EHERMS with converted keggles, that is going to be a Kal knockoff.

I've got a 16"x16"x8" stainless steel control cabinet that I saved from the salvage yard (for $14). I'm going to have the front panel cut by a machinist, as the steel is 16 gauge (62 mils thick) - I'll tackle the bottom and top where my imperfections won't be seen, but I've already had issues trying to punch a hole with a Greenlee. The SS won.

My first question is in regards to the inside back plate (flat panel) that holds all the non-door mounted switches, PIDS, etc. I started making the panel out of a 1/8" thick fiberboard/masonite which is plenty strong enough, as I didn't want to worry about any shorting paths or unwanted grounding issues. But as I thought about it, it also makes sense to not make this out of a "flammable material".

I've searched on HBT and on line, but can't seem to find any info. Anyone out there have any input on whether this should this be metal (most likely sheet aluminum) that would provide a common ground path, or a non-conductive material?

What's the general thoughts on this? Thanks in advance,

Thanks, Mort

Mine is steel but many are aluminum. I suspect that they do it that way for a grounding path for all of the components attached to it. The GFI will take care of business should you get a short which should only occur in the event of a failure.

Go all metal, especially if mounting terminal bars or anything. You want as much path to ground as you can have in the event of a short. Mine is all aluminum with 4 ground points.. im not gonna mess around with 50 amps man

Back