Stainless Immersion Chiller (2X 115' coils)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrell00

Reaction score
Hello...

I have 2 X 115' (estimated) coils of 3/8" 304 SS that I would like to convert into a IC.

Would 2X 55-60 ft coils in parallel be the way to go? (6 gal batches).. I hope to use the other one to make HERMS (eventually) or Jockey Box chillers.

I would like to maximize the efficiency of one of the two. Not sure that a single 115' coil will work that well without some kind of spacing in the coils. I'm assuming surface area in contact with hot wort is the way to go. A single 115' of coil crammed into a 10 gal pot doesn't seem that efficient at first glance to me. Maybe it is, dunno?

Thanks in advance..

IMHO, that would be way overkill. I have a 50 foot 3/8 inch chiller (copper) that chills 6 gal wort from boiling to pitching temps in 7-15 min depending on season and tap water temp. If I had your stainless id build an immersion chiller and a herms coil from the get-go.

I feel like by the time the water made it's way through 115', it's temperature would be equal to your wort (and likely long before).

If you were going to use this much tubing, it might make sense to have some kind of tee where you split the cold water supply into two separate coils.

I'd probably start with 50' and if that's not good enough, create a second coil inside and add that tee.

Latest posts

Back