Stainless dip tube idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
So I have been looking into upgrading my dip-tube lately. (insert chortle at my expense)

I just thought of something that may work. While on Mcmaster-Carr I found item #4813K124. It is stainless threaded tube. 18 inches for under $20 with 1/2 MPT threads. My question is, will I be able to bend this easily enough to install it in my keggle, then bend it by hand to my desired whirlpool angle and orientation. I am not uber familiar with tubing values and really don't want to go digging through my engineering text books and notes to figure it out.

Here are the specs:

Shape: Pipe
Pipe Type: Threaded
System of Measurement: Inch
Pipe Size: 1/2"
Pipe to Pipe Connection: NPT x NPT
Material: 304/304L Stainless Steel
Schedule: 40
Length: 18"
Inside Diameter: .622"
Outside Diameter: .84"
Wall Thickness: .109"
Pipe Construction: Welded
Fittings: Use low-pressure (Class 150) threaded stainless steel
Flanges: Use low-pressure threaded stainless steel
Specifications Met: American National Standards Institute (ANSI), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
ANSI Specification: ANSI B1.20.1
ASTM Specification: ASTM A312, ASTM A733
ASME Specification: ASME B1.20.1, ASME SA312

If someone can tell me if this will work or not I would appreciate it. It would be a nice way to simplify the dip tube design and cut costs.

Cheers

You will not be able to bend it easily at all.

1/2" flexible copper tubing = 0.032 wall thickness

You could always try to use a tubing bender that they use for electrical conduit, I'll be experimenting with this as well, using a sanke spear

Yeah, not even close. To that ASTM spec, the material has been cold worked to a high strength level. The soft refrigiration grade copper that Atl300zx referred to works. Get a compression tube adapter fitting from McMaster PN: 50915K328 and you can use the soft copper or preformed copper bends.

Here are the part numbers for doing it with compression fittings and stainless bendable tube (at least I think I will be able to bend it)

Compression fitting: 8239K26
Tubing: 8989K783

Let me know what you think of this tubing:

Type: Stainless Steel Welded Tubing
Material: Type 304 Stainless Steel
Shape: Single Line
Outside Dia.: 1/2" (.5")
Outside Dia. Tolerance: ±.01"
Inside Dia.: .43"
Wall Thickness: .035"
Length: 36"
Maximum Pressure: 2,339 psi @ 72º F
Operating Temperature Range: -423º to +1,500º F
Metal Bendability: Bendable With Bending Tool
Rockwell: B90
Temper: Soft (Annealed)
Tensile Strength: Low
Metal Construction: Welded
Cleaning and Capping: Not Cleaned and Capped
Metal Flareability: Not Flareable
For Use With: Air, Deionized Water, Hydraulic Oil, Natural Gas, Oil, Water
Sterilize With: Chemical
Shipped As: Straight Length
Specifications Met: American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
ASTM Specification: ASTM A269
Compatible Fittings: Stainless Steel Compression, Butt-Weld

It says bendable with pipe bender but it seems so thin walled that I could bend it if determined enough (while wearing gloves and partially inebriated of course)! :mug:

You want to use a pipe bender regardless. You will "flatten" the tubing if you try to do it by hand. The whole reason people buy pipe benders is to evenly distribute the force along the pipe

NoClueBrewMaster said:
You want to use a pipe bender regardless. You will "flatten" the tubing if you try to do it by hand. The whole reason people buy pipe benders is to evenly distribute the force along the pipe
and often the tube benders are a lot less than a replacement SS tube :)

Latest posts

Back