"Stained" Corny Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistrx

Reaction score
I got 4 Corny kegs from a friend the other day and 3 of them have "stains" on the inside, almost looks like glue. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough. It isn't raised, it almost feels like the metal is worn away because something was sprayed on them? It's really strange - it doesn't look like it was caused by cleaning, it really looks like silly string on something like that.

Has anyone ever seen this? Anything to be worried about? Or are these scrap metal now and not safe for beer?

Thanks.
IMG_9020.JPG
IMG_9019.JPG
IMG_9019.JPG
IMG_9018.JPG

Did you try soaking overnight in Oxyclean or PBW? Might come right off

Oh yes... I tried to clean it but it seems like the metal is worn away. I'm not sure if it's common/safe to have scratches and marks like this or if they should always be shiny clean?

Those look nasty. Asking for trouble if the stainless is worn / etched. Not something I would put my beer in.
More curious about your friend. Did you buy these? What's his story on these kegs?

I have to agree with ^that^ sentiment.
Those are the sketchiest looking kegs I've ever seen and so far there doesn't seem to be an explanation that covers everything pictured.
I'd definitely ask the previous owner what the heck he used them for and what his cleaning/sanitation practices were before even considering a salvage operation...

Cheers!

I'd suggest trying to clean them with Barkeeper's Friend, but you may have trouble doing that through the keg opening. Maybe use one of those kitchen scrubbies with a handle?

Will these still be safe pressure vessels? The pressure relief valves are designed to protect an uncompromised keg, which these aren't, with that pitting. If a bottle bomb is bad, what would a keg bomb be like?

I know you said the markings aren't raised...but is the finish marred/etched to the touch? If so, I'd recycle them and go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Is that a black coating at the top or just the way the picture looks?
Kind of looks like it was completely coated at one time and partially cleaned.

Those kegs had some nonstandard chemicals in them. That dark ring around the top wasn't caused by beer or normal cleaners and sanitizers like Oxyclean, PBW, Barkeeper's Friend, StarSan, etcetera.

Use BLC and fill them to the top and let it soak 24+ hours. The acid might remove it to nice shiny stainless... could use double strength BLC solution.

BLC is a caustic/basic cleaner not an acid.

It looks like a honey badger fell into the keg and tried to claw its way out.

I'm interpreting them like cave drawings.

The middle two seem to be figures dancing, but the first and last pictures are something different.
The first seems to depict someone's torture, and the last one looks like two figures fighting, with one being watched over or maybe helped by a demon while another demon rides off in a chariot.

Most concerning, I'd say.

FYI... I've used muriatic on stainless before, but it will take the finish off. Use as a last resort.
I'd cut it 1/10 with water, fill it half way, seal the lid and flip it over and give it an overnight.

I'm interpreting them like cave drawings.

The middle two seem to be figures dancing, but the first and last pictures are something different.
The first seems to depict someone's torture, and the last one looks like two figures fighting, with one being watched over or maybe helped by a demon while another demon rides off in a chariot.

Most concerning, I'd say.
I think you've found the vikings' magical figures that ensured the beer gods watch over, guide and protect the batch against the evil spirits that cause projectile vomiting, anal leakage and aching eyeballs. I would treat that keg with true reverence. Perhaps a small shrine in your brew room?

(PS I see a bird flying upside down in the last picture.)

Back