St. Patty's Day gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbloeser

Reaction score
So I stopped by the local home brew store on St. Patty's morning and purchased some supplies including 2 white labs yeast vials: Beligian Wit and California Ale. I usually bring them home and throw them in my produce drawer of the fridge. Maybe because of St. Patty's day fun I apparently put them in my bag and just found them today. Which means for the last 12 days they have hovered around 70 degrees. They weren't opened and I now have them back in the fridge but my question is do I just make up an extra big starter when I'm ready to use them and hope for the best with some backup dry yeast on hand? Are they garbage and I should just throw them out? Please tell me I'm not the only idiot who has done this, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

I've ordered yeast in the summer from Texas. It took about 5 days to get to me and who knows how long is was in the back of a truck. I didn't get any ice packs and it turned out great after I made a starter.

If you're really worried, make a smaller starter to begin with (maybe 1/4 the size of your planned starter). Grow it up overnight, cool it for a day, and decant. Then just make your regular starter and pour it on top of the yeast cake, should give you more than enough yeast to work with.

Back