St. Patty's Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
So, who's brewing on St. Patty's Day? What are you brewing?

I'm brewing an Imperial Irish Stout with WLP004 Irish Ale yeast! :rockin:

Perfect day to brew. I'm in. I will brew an IPA. It will be a little different, I just don't know what I will do to it yet.

I have been building up inventory to do an Imp. Stout, myself. I think I will do that after the IPA. I only have one spot in my fermentation kegerator and I have a ton of hops I ordered back in September/October.

I will,because im bottleing 2 Friday so that means im probably doing a double batch.I already made an irish amber which turned out pretty nice.I have 3 from last year to drink,so i got a irish cream stout,irish blonde,irish red,and a irish amber(more brunette really) to drink this year.
Ill probably do a couple ipa's think i have more hops than grain so i gotta use them up.Im using wlp051 cali v,no idea what its like yet and already made 3 batches with it and one was just bottled,ill probably try one over the weekend.

I think I've decided to turn the fore-mentioned batch into my first attempt at overnight mashing. I'll mash in friday night and then saturday morning I'll collect 1st runnings, sparge, and boil. I'm doing this for two reasons. The main reason is a high wind advisory for saturday, and since I boil outside I want to beat the gusts if I can. The other reason is I've just been wanting to try it.. I hope it works out! It's a big(ish) beer, and I'd hate to mess it up!

SWMBO has plans for me the 17th so my planned brewday has been moved to the 18th. I will be doing my first 5 gallon batch moving on from my Mr Beer Christmas gift, and it will also be my first All Grain. A Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH. I can't hardly stand to wait.

Doing an Irish oatmeal stout. First attempt at this so I'm excited. Went in to buy the ingredients last weekend and ended up making a Irish Red on Saturday. Just wish I had thought of this a month ago so I could have drank it on the 17th.

Doing an Irish oatmeal stout. First attempt at this so I'm excited. Went in to buy the ingredients last weekend and ended up making a Irish Red on Saturday. Just wish I had thought of this a month ago so I could have drank it on the 17th.

Yeah, I have a lower gravity Irish Stout that's 1.5 weeks away from bottling. I should have brewed it about 6 weeks earlier..

I may be brewing a Kölsch if I get the chance. Not sure when plans are starting for the festivities that day. I know, not Irish themed, but that's what the freshly kegged Irish Red is for. On to summer ready brews...

Doing an Irish Red Ale so it'll be ready for my club meeting and the Scottish/Irish club-only competition in April. Never brewed an Irish Red before but my wife had one when we were on vacation a couple years ago and loved it. So I figure it's about time to brew it for her and I've been wanting to do more session beers after a long winter of high gravity brews.

Well, that's 3 posts about Irish Red. It must be good!! I've never actually had one. I guess it's time to pick one up at my local craft brew shop and see if it's something I'd like to brew..

not a fan of irish red myself...
however, i did brew a porter for st pattys day!
brewing on st patricks day? i think the GF may kill me.. hahah

Stauffbier said:
I think I've decided to turn the fore-mentioned batch into my first attempt at overnight mashing. I'll mash in friday night and then saturday morning I'll collect 1st runnings, sparge, and boil. I'm doing this for two reasons. The main reason is a high wind advisory for saturday, and since I boil outside I want to beat the gusts if I can. The other reason is I've just been wanting to try it.. I hope it works out! It's a big(ish) beer, and I'd hate to mess it up!

I'd be concerned with the mash souring overnight.

I'd be concerned with the mash souring overnight.

The general consensus is that if you can keep the mash above 140F that it will be fine. I've been told that the "cut-off point" is below 130F before bacteria can set in and start souring. I've done it once on a smaller scale. I mashed 3 gallons with 6lbs of grain in a 5 gallon cooler for 9 hours, and it only got down to 145F, which was impressive! The beer was a 2 row smash which isn't delicious per say, but that's because it was 2 row. It didn't sour at all.

A HBT member named permo seems to be the authority on the subject.
Check out these threads;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/more-overnight-mashing-243197/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/overnight-mashing-184855/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/extended-mashing-my-process-307113/

It's worth a try. If my beer sours, maybe it will be a decent sour mash beer (even though I'm sure you would never sour mash a stout). All in the name of science! :tank:

I've had the ingredients for a kolsch for 2 weeks that keep getting put on the back burner. Hopefully St. Patty's will be the day for them.

I'm anxious for St Patty's day to try v2 of my APA with the different hops. Here's an interesting discovery I made today. I finally got around to scrubing & rinsing my other fermenter & reusing the clear PBW solution for a couple other things. One being the capped blow off jug about 2 weeks old from her Summer shandy. I took it to the sink to shake & empty it. I pulled the cap,& it smelled exactly like lagers/pilsners used to taste in the 50's & mid-60's. Right on the nosey! Things that make ya go hmmm...

Well, that's 3 posts about Irish Red. It must be good!! I've never actually had one. I guess it's time to pick one up at my local craft brew shop and see if it's something I'd like to brew..

They kind of remind me of an English Bitter, but with less hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness. SWMBO tends to like less hoppy beers, so I thought this would be a good option. The ones I've had have been low carbonated easy drinking beers.

I am actually throwing a BeerFest for St. Patty's Day and I NEED SOME HELP with good names for the brews that are all kegged up and ready.

Suggestions Please:

1 Extra Pale Ale
2 Irish Red Ale - IRA
3 Stout
4 Pilsner
5 English Oak Aged IPA
6 Brown Ale
7 California Common
8 Marzen
9 Kolsch

And to stay on topic I am brewing a Maibock on St. Patty's Day for Memorial Day.

Brewing 10gal of Hefeweizen with Wyeast 3068. I bottled a milk stout 3 weeks ago so it should be nice and ready for St pattys day :)

I'm hoping I'll get the washers I need to complete my mash tun this week so I can brew my first AG batch this weekend. It's the Centennial Blonde recipe, not Irish, but beer is beer. Also planning on cracking open my first vanilla bourbon stout as that will be three weeks in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back