St. Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there beers I need to get here? Going there in two weeks. I haven't been since the old Cardinals stadium closed.

There are actually a lot of good breweries in St. Louis. I'm a recent transplant to Springfield but some good ones to check out are:

4 Hands. They do a lot of cool hoppy beers and stouts. They just released their Barrel Aged Bona Fide, a stout with coffee and vanilla. It is tits.

Urban Chestnut. They have a great bier garden in The Grove neighborhood. Lots of really good classic styles skewing German. Be sure to try Zwikel, a great Bavarian Lager

Schlafly is the old dog on the block. They're worth checking out if you have time.

Perennial does some nice Belgian type stuff. They do some nice sours and brewery only releases. They have a nice fruity IPA out right now called White Impala. Also Abraxas is their special stout and is worth trying if you can still find a tap/bottle.

Narrow Gauge is north of town in a very hightly regarded Italian restaurant. They are killing the Northeast style IPA. They are Crowler only right now, but there is no limit. Try Mordecai, OJ Run, Cloud City, Fallen Flag...Pretty much whatever they are pouring.

4 hands is close to the hotel, but it looks like Bona Fide will not be on tap in January. Damn. The rest of the lineup looks pretty good.

what time are you in town moose. damn got beaten to it.

4hands
civil life
urban chesnut
schlafly
side project

tons of options downtown.

my personal favorite is probably anything 4hands makes right now. second would be any UBC beer... seriously... hey we time it right i can give you a home brew to take home with ya too.

and o'fallon has some good ones (and some mediocre ones), but they are worth checking out.. possibly for lunch or dinner.

they have one at Westport (I am a st. louis kid, but in chicago and just recently went back this summer, and like you have not been there since the old stadium.)

I'd have to second the Urban Chestnut Zwickel if you like the style. I'm brewing an attempt at a clone of it right now.

Best bet:

Once you land in St. Louis, get a rental car and drive a few hours north east. There's a rather large city there, and the small breweries are all around excellent. Plus, the sports teams are far better than St. Louis teams. St. Louis can't even afford a football team.

To top it all off, the big city north east sends all its poopy water down to St. Louis, where the locals there drink and occasionally shower in it. That's what they get for stealing the Worlds Fair. Lol!

When in St. Louis, remember Clark Griswold's advice: "Roll 'em up!"

:ban:

Best bet:

Once you land in St. Louis, get a rental car and drive a few hours north east. There's a rather large city there, and the small breweries are all around excellent. Plus, the sports teams are far better than St. Louis teams. St. Louis can't even afford a football team.

To top it all off, the big city north east sends all its poopy water down to St. Louis, where the locals there drink and occasionally shower in it. That's what they get for stealing the Worlds Fair. Lol!

When in St. Louis, remember Clark Griswold's advice: "Roll 'em up!"

:ban:

lol. being from a chicago family raised in st.louis I take offense to this and DON'T KNOW WHY (since it's true).

side note, if going with kids or a date:

http://www.citymuseum.org/

make this a must see.. even with the rooftop closed, it's still worth it.

Actually just there for business. Will only have a couple evenings to go out. Flying in on the 17th in the late morning, and flying out the 19th in the afternoon. Not a beercation by any means. I just figured I will finish up dinner around 9 on the 17th and 18th, so I would like to go experience a bit of local flavor.

U-City is a good place to go for a "light" night out... as is lacledes landing. Enjoy

There is also Heavy Riff in Dogtown which is really good. Also Alpha brewing on Wash ave which has a lot of sour beers.

Back