SS Tea Ball for fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTWHIT

Reaction score
I have used SS tea balls for dry hopping kegs and body ever use them for fruit additions in the keg? Think they would work?

Any teaball small enough to fit through a keg opening wouldn't hold much fruit. Would be OK for ginger and other spices.

I think it could work, but two issues I can think of 1) how much fruit can you really get into one of those things. 2) I tried using two for hops in my first batch and never did it again. When the hops absorbed water they swelled up and I was worried about getting little or no utilization from them. I would be worried about the same thing here, unless you have an army of the things.

I put two pounds of blueberrys in at end of boil. So it has some flavor but wanted to add a little more. I have several tea balls? Worth trying?

would you also need to be worried about fermentation restarting in your keg(from the sugars in the fruit)?

I force carb and the keg will be kept cold to prohibit any additional fermentation.

I think it sounds like a novel idea. I would try it. Just curious, what kind of fruit are we talking about. (I have strawberries in mind)

Latest posts

Back