SS Brewtech Brite Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologize if a thread has been started but I didn't see anything.

What are everyones thoughts on the new SS Brewtech Brite Tanks?
How are these better than kegs?

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/brite-tanks

I was really excited when they announced them...but then to see a $500 price point for a 10g, without the temp control coil included, is disappointing. I really was wanting to buy two or three 1 BBL brites when they release them in the fall, but now it makes me thing they'll end up being in the $1000-$1200, fully equipped. For that price, I may just go out and buy a few new sanke's for the staple beers that need to stay on tap all the time.

I think they are awesome but the price point is hard to swallow. But it is a vessel that can be pressurized. So that will drive up the cost.

I like the carb stone; allows full carbonation within 12-24 hours without having to shake or pressurize to 30 PSI. Just set it to the desired PSI and done. The price is a bit steep but I might get a 1/2 barrel one when they come out.

They are pretty. I really like the idea of being able to carb in 12-24 hours. Going to have to find out more info if you can bottle directly from it. I looks like you can. Im tempted.

I really like their conical fermenters. Temp control has been a great tool to making better beers. I was psyched when I heard they were coming out with a bright tank. I actually suggested it on the last survey they sent me. My problem is I'm brewing 15 gallon batches so I'm lost in the middle of 10 and barrel sizes.

I found these extra large corny kegs a few weeks ago, I was waiting on the price for the bright tanks and now these look even more interesting. No coil or dump valve but they are serviceable. http://www.cornykeg.com/product-category/keg-it/kegs/new-cornelius-kegs/cornelius-kegs-large-new/

I have a SSB chronical and love it, but I just don't get what this offers over kegs and a chest freezer? Speedy carbonation, maybe, but that's something you can do in a keg quite easily as well. Just not getting the point of these, at least on the smaller sizes although they are nice and blingy :)

I really like their conical fermenters. Temp control has been a great tool to making better beers. I was psyched when I heard they were coming out with a bright tank. I actually suggested it on the last survey they sent me. My problem is I'm brewing 15 gallon batches so I'm lost in the middle of 10 and barrel sizes.

I found these extra large corny kegs a few weeks ago, I was waiting on the price for the bright tanks and now these look even more interesting. No coil or dump valve but they are serviceable. http://www.cornykeg.com/product-category/keg-it/kegs/new-cornelius-kegs/cornelius-kegs-large-new/

They mentioned on Facebook 1 BBL is coming next and 1/2 BBL after that.

I have a SSB chronical and love it, but I just don't get what this offers over kegs and a chest freezer? Speedy carbonation, maybe, but that's something you can do in a keg quite easily as well. Just not getting the point of these, at least on the smaller sizes although they are nice and blingy :)

This is what SS is saying.

"Had one of the product guys put together a quick list of "what are the benefits of a brite tank" : Cuts carbonation time down significantly vs corny keg (12-24 hours vs 5 days) ,allows burst carving and head pressure monitoring,
allows for bulk conditioning/aging, has a larger center drain instead of a dip tube so yeast is not drawn into the serving line, has a larger bottom surface area for yeast to settle,can be used as a Firkin/cask ale device, Integrated LCD/Thermowell
Integrated legs with option for casters,
Ability to serve and function externally, through the use of glycol chiller"

I can see the benefits potentially for larger batches maybe... Just don't see the cost benefit at smaller sizes when you can do all this offers with a regular keg setup. I don't mind paying for useful equipment, but this seems to be a solution looking for a problem. To each their own though... I'll continue to be a SSB customer - love their fermentation equipment.

Another option that could save you a LOT of $$$$$$
Look up "The kegging part"
It is an adaptor kit that allows you to modify a regular sanke tap to accept ball lock fitting allowing you to fill sanke`s via gas pressure from your ball lock kegs. Brand new 15.5 gallon sankes are MUCH cheaper than the $300+ 15 gallon cornys.

I can dig up the link if you give me a few mins.

A little longer explanation from the SS crew on the benefits.

1 Cuts carbonation time down significantly with a carb stone, so users can fully carb in under 24 hours. In comparison, the low and slow method might take a Home Brewer 5-7 days to fully carbonate in a corny keg. Plus the brewers that try to burst carb at much higher pressures risk carb bite, which is over carbonated beer.

2. Allows for proper burst carbing, and head pressure monitoring. Commercial breweries do the same thing, they may set input pressure at their carb stones at 30 PSI, then monitor the head pressure until the desired limit is reached, typically 12-13 PSI. Then turn down the CO2 to typical serve pressures.

3. Allows for bulk conditioning/aging. This is seriously underrated, if a 10 gallon home brewer can store and serve their beer all in one vessel, it can age differently, plus you only have one vessel to clean and turn when it’s time to refill!

4. Has a larger center drain instead of a dip tube, so yeast is not drawn into the serving line. Just like a commercial brite tank, the large center drain allows for low velocity pickup, as opposed to a small dip tube in a Corny keg, which is a high velocity pickup. The high velocity of the corny dip tube results in more yeast and sentiment drawn into the draught line.

5. Has a larger bottom surface area for yeast to settle onto. For the volume of beer, corny kegs have a relatively small bottom surface area compared to the Brite Tank. This allows yeast to settle and harden throughout the lower surface area.

6. Can be used as a Firkin/cask ale device. Most home brewers go to a lot of expense for cask ales and firkin kegs, our Brite Tank allows a home brewer to hook up a beer engine, disassemble the PRV seal and use the small opening as the spile.

7. Integrated LCD/Thermowell. For the homebrewer that closely wants to calculate both serve or lager temp, alongside calculating exactly how many volumes of CO2 is going into their beer, a thermowell and thermometer is key!

8. Easier to clean/CIP. CIP has proven to be a popular feature and purchase decision driver for our BME Chronicals. We will be introducing a reducer were the end user can utilize their existing equipment investments in CIP on multiple vessels. Plus, cleaning kegs is awful, it’s much easier to throw in some caustics and then sanitizers and let the pump and spray ball work their magic!

9. Integrated legs with option for casters. Kegs need to be lifted, and by enabling the use of casters, it makes material handling throughout the home brewery that much easier, just roll it around!

10. Ability to serve and function externally, through the use of glycol. Kegs can’t function outside of a kegerator or some other sort of refrigeration device. With our optional BME coil and jacket upgrade, the brite tank can be rolled outside and served directly out of without the need for a refrigerator.

I can definitely see how these would have value for a breweries pilot batch system or a brew pub. I, who can justify most anything within reason. Would have a hard time with this one at this price. Love SS brewtech and have voted with my wallet, but this is out of my limit for rationalizing purchases. It does looks sharp and has lots of cool, though not entirely necessary features.

If you look at what Stout Tanks and similar charge for bright tanks SS's pricing is actually pretty decent.

Now I wouldn't have a use for a 10 gallon one but a 1bbl one? Uh yeah, not have to take apart and clean and sanitize then reassemble 2 - 1\2 barrel sanke kegs for every 1bbl batch I make? Just pump the whole batch from the fermenter into the bright tank and carb and serve from it? Way easier to disassemble, clean and sanitize? Yup sign me up.

Same ball park but slightly off topic.

I know the SS brew tech glycol chiller can handle 4 items at once. But does anyone know if they can be set at different temps or does the temp have to be the same for all? Thanks.

No the tank for the glycol chiller is all one temp. You achieve different temp with the pump and temp control you are using for your vessel. The pump goes in the tank.

Example if you have two FTS pumps and controls sets for two fermenters you set your temps and the control cycles the pumps on and off to keep your temps you set.

I do believe the SS Glycol chiller can only do 3 1bbl fermenters tho not 4.

Unless I'm missing something the use of a stainless carbonation stone to fast carb has easily been done buy modify the corny keg lid with $25 in hardware and that lid can easily be exchanged with a standard lid afterwards... better yet you can put the stones directly on the inside end of any corny gas port and just turn the keg upside down to speed carbonate. Afterward once the keg is turned back over the stone will have no effect on normal use of the keg and pressure..

I agree that on a home brewing scale these are really just not practical but if its about have the fancy toys regardless of cost vs being practical then yeah they are neat. ..kind of like one of those curved Tv screens that were all the rage for about 6 months.

Well to be fair their bright tank is 10 gallons not 5 and if you price out brand new 10 gallon cornys SS's pricing ain't bad.

Now I don't use cornys anymore (cept for Skeeter Pee, Cider and root beer. I moved to a 1bbl system so I am waiting to see SS's 1bbl bright tanks. Now instead of splitting a batch into 2 - 15.5 gal kegs and so you have 1/2 the cleaning including not having to pull and reinstall the spear assemblies. The price to ME will probably be worth it. Since I value my time and I work hard enough at my job. If something saves me time and work I'll pay a premium for that.

I use standard Cornyies with a modified lid that allow me to pass through a carbonation stone. The kegs are stored at 33°C. Once the carb is reached I transfer to another properly purged keg. I know I pickup some O2 doing this but the main purpose is to leave behind another set of trub. Adding this step has allowed me to move my kegs to events and immediately pour without losing clarity.

I'd love one of there brite tanks but can't justify the price for my batch sizes.

Well to be fair their bright tank is 10 gallons not 5 and if you price out brand new 10 gallon cornys SS's pricing ain't bad.

Now I don't use cornys anymore (cept for Skeeter Pee, Cider and root beer. I moved to a 1bbl system so I am waiting to see SS's 1bbl bright tanks. Now instead of splitting a batch into 2 - 15.5 gal kegs and so you have 1/2 the cleaning including not having to pull and reinstall the spear assemblies. The price to ME will probably be worth it. Since I value my time and I work hard enough at my job. If something saves me time and work I'll pay a premium for that.

true but 2 5 gallon cornies have advantages over 1 10 gallon one.. I have 5 10 gallon cornies and find myself prefering to fill 2 5 gallon ones rather than use the single 10 gallon unit. I did buy my firestone 10 gallon stainless cornies for $20 a piece though used... I also dont see much value in new cornies vs used ones.. the rebuild kits like $5 so I just go that route myself.
To each his own though.. The practical use advantages just dont pan out for me. everyones priorities are different though.

Dang it too drunk! Pow!

IMG_20161001_220814.jpg

No the tank for the glycol chiller is all one temp. You achieve different temp with the pump and temp control you are using for your vessel. The pump goes in the tank.

Example if you have two FTS pumps and controls sets for two fermenters you set your temps and the control cycles the pumps on and off to keep your temps you set.

I do believe the SS Glycol chiller can only do 3 1bbl fermenters tho not 4.

That is pretty good given the price of the glycol chiller....if you have that much beer in fermenters hats off to you my friend!

That is pretty good given the price of the glycol chiller....if you have that much beer in fermenters hats off to you my friend!

You can find them used cheap or in my case free as Ive gotten 2 from work for free now... I use one in a very low budget system for 4 smaller conicals. I build, 4 stc1000+ units (soon to be testing an arduino alternative) controlling 4 double pole relays, when the relay is activated to cool it sends 24vDC to a $3 solenoid valve to open and 240v to the main chiller pump which then pumps the glycol water mix through a cpvc manifold on the wall and through any open solenoid valve to homemade blue 1.25" discharge hose like they sell at the home depot wrapped around my conicals and I insulate the conicals with foil bubble wrap insulation like they sell at the home depot. I also use 24v dc heating strips also switched by the stc1000 units.... Total cost not including conicals? about $200

You can find them used cheap or in my case free as Ive gotten 2 from work for free now... I use one in a very low budget system for 4 smaller conicals. I build, 4 stc1000+ units (soon to be testing an arduino alternative) controlling 4 double pole relays, when the relay is activated to cool it sends 24vDC to a $3 solenoid valve to open and 240v to the main chiller pump which then pumps the glycol water mix through a cpvc manifold on the wall and through any open solenoid valve to homemade blue 1.25" discharge hose like they sell at the home depot wrapped around my conicals and I insulate the conicals with foil bubble wrap insulation like they sell at the home depot. I also use 24v dc heating strips also switched by the stc1000 units.... Total cost not including conicals? about $200

Please share what you speak of arduino based system. Is it Brew pi? I was led to believe it wasn't configured for a glycol system.

Please share what you speak of arduino based system. Is it Brew pi? I was led to believe it wasn't configured for a glycol system.

To be fair I was told the same thing.. The software im going to use I will be a beta tester for and I dont believe I could disclose anything about it even if I wanted to at this time due to that fact. Sorry. Only time will tell I guess if the arduino hardware could work well with a chiller/glycol system but I have faith it will.

To be fair I was told the same thing.. The software im going to use I will be a beta tester for and I dont believe I could disclose anything about it even if I wanted to at this time due to that fact. Sorry. Only time will tell I guess if the arduino hardware could work well with a chiller/glycol system but I have faith it will.

Fair enough, but I fully expect you to disclose the how/when/ and where when the time comes ;-). I will be piecing together a glycol system later this year and standard temperature controller just seem so inelegant. Temp overshoot and what not. plus being able to control and view parameters remotely is neat!!!

Fair enough, but I fully expect you to disclose the how/when/ and where when the time comes ;-). I will be piecing together a glycol system later this year and standard temperature controller just seem so inelegant. Temp overshoot and what not. plus being able to control and view parameters remotely is neat!!!

In my experience, which is with a chest freezer fermentation chamber and not a glycol system. PID control and overshoot are not an issue. Because of the amount of beer in a fermenter (I do 5 gal batches) there is enough thermal mass and the transfer of heat from the surface of the fermenter is so slow, the system doesn't need to do much more than shut off when it hits temp. In my case the overshoot was 0.1-0.2 degrees F. The only thing I did end up doing with my arduino based setup was to put a delay on so the condenser didn't flip on and off as it stabilized across that set point.

I am not that handy with electrical and I don't have a ton of spare time to build panels and stuff like that plus it takes me a long time. So paying for a fully built system that is all nice & tidy is nice for me. Even when I do complete my projects it looks like Frankenstein experiment generally...lol

Looking to buy a couple of these and a glycol chiller I already have two of their BME fermenters. Curious if there are foaming issues when serving from them. How long of a beer line are people using and how do you keep it cold?

I'm a bit intrigued by these as well. Been watching some video reviews, they do seem to do a good job in helping to make really clean finished beer that's ready to go in a fraction of the time after fermentation's done. I've thought about getting a couple of carb lids for my kegs to burst carb that way, but am still running into problems with clogging when pressure transferring to the keg from the conical, as well as that nasty sediment filled first pint or two. Being able to pressure transfer from my chronical directly in here through 1/2" tubing would eliminate a lot of that gunk I can't seem to avoid getting into my cornies, despite how many trub dumps I do, or how long I cold crash.

Plus, since I already have their BME Chronicals as well as the glycol chiller...

Goddamnit.

Back