SS Braid for a hop stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddroukas

Reaction score
Anyone use a SS braid as a hop stopper in their boil kettle? I was thinking of making a loop around a copper-T connecter with oetiker clamps. Maybe the filter would be too strict and easily clog?

Anyone? Anybody?

From your link I see that it won't work well unless you use a hop bag (muslin or nylon). I was hoping to avoid that. How well does the legit bazooka screen restrain pellet hops? I was hoping to DIY a strainer but if I have to buy the for-real product I will. Better to do it right the first time than screw up and have to start over.

I cant remember who has it on HBT but I think this is the absolute best hop clean out system out there. Bazookas are great but this way you can use it as a filter when you recirculate before knock out.

2405890297_a0277a3861.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/2405890297_a0277a3861.jpg?v=0

All I use is a stainless steel braid about 18" long with no hop bag. Works great for whole leaf hops or a combo of whole leaf and pellet. With just pellets is works but is kind of slow. I buy the 10' hoses with a stainless braid at Menards then use a little at a time. I probably get 10 to 15 batches out of one before I replace it.

I used to use a 10" braid, but gave it up as it didn't work very well with pellet hops. It would clog up too much. I've got a plate chiller and use a pump to recirculate to cool the wort all at once. It might be OK if you whirlpool and gravity drain. I've now got a bit of a rube goldberg set up, but I can recirculate and not worry about plugging up the kettle filter.

I use a looped SS braid on a copper tee with whole hops and it works like a champ. I leave it clamped to the tee and can run it through the dishwasher at the end of the day. I use whole hops only and pump out through a plate chiller. YMMV

Back