Squeezing the Hop Bog - CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennanj11

Reaction score
Any ill-effects by doing this?
I have been using this technique for a couple of batches and it seems to yield good flavor and aroma. When using my IMC , I begin chilling the wort to my desired pitch temp and squeeze the Hop Bag that had been sitting in the wort during the chilling time. I would use sanitized gloves.

I figure this process allowed for more contact time - more flavor - more aroma etc.. I also figured it was a dumb NOT to squeeze every last ounce of 'hop liquid' I could.

Eventually, I am switching over to CFC, and understanding the differences of squeezing the hop bag before the wort enters (200F+) the CFC and ultimately the fermenter. Anybody with some experience in the scenario, tips, suggestions? Or just tell me I'm over-thinking this... Thanks!

I started doing this as well and noticed a better aroma in the finished beer. Interested to hear if there's any negative effects, though I don't believe there are as I haven't tasted/smelled anything 'off' in the beers I have done this to. Just be sure to practice good sanitation.

Back