Squeezed bag while straining out hops after wort was cooled -- Did I infect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
Here’s a classic is this infected question:

I strained my wort through mesh bag with elastic band that fits around my brew bucket. Because I used an obscene amount of hops (7 ounces), they absorbed a lot of the wort. Thus, in order to get the liquid out of the mesh bag, I squeezed it. In fact, I squeezed it a lot. A good deal of cooled wort ran over my hands as I squeezed it into the fermenter.

What do you think are the odds this will infect my beer?

My hands were definitely clean. I also had been dunking them in some iodophor throughout the brew session, but I’m not 100% confident that they would qualify as sanitary when I squeezed the wort. They might have been, but I don’t know.

I’m not a total noob—this was my 10th batch. Thus, I know the only way to tell will be to just wait a few weeks and see. In the mean time, I’ll RDWHAHB.

LESSON FOR OTHER BEGINNERS: In the future, if you need to squeeze the nylon bag used for straining, make sure your hands are SANITARY!

Always better to use glove? And dunking in saniziter, you should be quite safe.

I squeeze my hop bag immediately after flame out, but I wear neoprene lined gloves. Works great and takes me less than 30 seconds to drain the bag.

c4d6_1.JPG

How the hell can you afford 7 ounces of hops?

It wasn't cheap, but I wanted to make a massive IPA. What can I say? I had Pliny the Younger for the first time ever, and I was inspired...

Essentially, all I will do is cut out a couple of nice six packs from my monthly supply or eat one less meal out for the month. The way I look at it, an extra 4-5 ounces of hops are the cost of a couple of nice beers at a beer bar here in DC.

We'll see if it's worth it though, seven ounces in a five gallon batch and an ounce of centennials for dry hopping may be pushing it.

I'm in the glove camp as well. The main reason is the smell. I enjoy the smell of hops as much as the next guy but after squeezing out the hop bag it can take quite a while to get the smell off your hands. That, and sanitation is much easier.

I'm in the glove camp as well. The main reason is the smell. I enjoy the smell of hops as much as the next guy but after squeezing out the hop bag it can take quite a while to get the smell off your hands. That, and sanitation is much easier.

Especially if you are handling a 200+ degree hop bag.

FWIW, I use sanitised tongs - by squeezing the hop bag and pressing against the side of the kettle, I get a good amount of the liquid out. Sometimes it's a few extra bottles' worth of beer, which it would seem criminal to lose.

Latest posts

Back