Square D 250gfi bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunmetal

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this breaker was purchased off of Ebay from PLC center used. After doing all the wiring yesterday, the breaker would not reset so that the visitrip indicator (red flag in window) would always show a blown breaker condition. With the breaker out of the panel it resets just fine. All the wiring is 6 guage thnn running through 1" conduit. The coiled white from the breaker goes to the neutral buss bar and the white load hooks into the bottom right of the breaker itself. I tested the wiring and did not find any leaks. I even unhooked both hots to the breaker, so the only thing hooked to the breaker was the load neutral, and the breakers coiled neutral to the neutral buss bar. The breaker would still not reset. I am snapping the breaker into the panel with it in the off position, then trying to turn it to the on poition, only get a red flag. I assume that the breaker is bad.

Try it without the white wire connected. Apparently there is a problem with the common. With the breaker installed in the panel and no wires hooked to it, except the coiled ground, does it trip? If not does the test switch trip it?

I just unhooked the load neutral, The only wire attached to the breaker is the white coiled neutral going to the neutral buss bar. Plug in the breaker and try and turn it on, and it still has the red flag in the window. You cannot use the test button because you can never get the breaker in the on position, - with no flag in window. Tried throwing the lever back and forth several times, will not turn on.

gunmetal said:
I just unhooked the load neutral, The only wire attached to the breaker is the white coiled neutral going to the neutral buss bar. Plug in the breaker and try and turn it on, and it still has the red flag in the window. You cannot use the test button because you can never get the breaker in the on position, - with no flag in window. Tried throwing the lever back and forth several times, will not turn on.

Get your money back it's NFG!! Go to Lowes.

Had the same problem with a new one from my local electrical supply house. Faulty breaker.

Well after going through everthing that I did, I figured the breaker was DOA. Was going to plug my brewery in for the first time. I have been slowly building this system for almost two years now, so to say that this setback sucks is an understatement.

Back