Spunding Valve - Diaphragm type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
I recently started fermenting in corny kegs. This was mostly to incorporate good oxygen control on the cold side. The first two batches were fermented at low pressure, which I closed nearing the end of the ferment as I didn't have a spunding valve. Last week I decided it was time to buy a spunding valve and try pressurised ferments also using the waste CO2 to provide extra purging to my serving keg. In my search for a spunding valve, I found that a lot of valves suffer from leakage towards the end of the ferment that results in pressure loss. I found this type cheap though, which claimed to be different
https://www.kegland.com.au/blowtie-diaphragm-spunding-valve-adjustable-pressure-relief-valve.html
blowtie_front.jpg

So, one brew in (and one valve used, so not a conclusive data set.....) I can confirm that this is really easy to set and shuts off reasonably at the set value (there seems to be about 2PSI difference between on and off). I'm really happy with it, especially for $15 Australian (about $10 US).
I am surprised though, that I can't see these for sale anywhere in the US (I don't think KegLand, where I purchased from, ships to the US). Has anyone seen these (or similar) outside of Australia?

What you have there is a pressure regulator, whereas a spunding valve is typically built with an back pressure valve. It certainly will work and I have used a HF air pressure regulator similarly in the past.

One one could use this
https://www.morebeer.com/products/inline-secondary-regulator.html

I've tried these - they don't work. I have two of them that I bought at my LHBS which I tried as spunding valves. Even fully closed they didn't stop the flow of gas, they only reduced it.

The red ones (blowtie diaphragm valves) work very well; they are spunding valves unlike the white ones. I've used them for about a dozen batches now and they haven't let me down.

Back