Spudweiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Been thinking about doing this for a while now. It is coming up on the warmer months and having something light around is always nice. I want to try using some potato starch to lighten the flavor and body....thinking light American lager-like.

Picture1-9.png

Using potato starch...
Pros: little to no flavor/aroma contribution, I have a bunch at home, gelatinizes at around 140F so no additional cooking needed
Cons: probably more expensive than a rice or corn route, I have no idea how much to use

Comments?

EDIT: hops are not going in the mash, that is a mistake

I would think rice would work just as well but then it's not a Spudweiser. I think rice will impart some flavor when used in higher quantities.

On a side ramble...Here in the states if you drink a corona it tastes just about like any other cerveza or bud you can buy but when I am down sotb the Coronas sometimes take on a little extra personality that I have identified as rice. Honestly I like it, it adds a bit more flavor and a little bit of a sweetness. This might fade with time or something who knows because I rarely get that flavor here.

Rice would work just as well except it has to be cooked before mashing and I don't have any flaked rice or anything.

What, no one else interesting in potato beer? :)

Use Minute Rice it, like flaked rice; needs no extra steps(cooking etc). I use Minute Rice as per Cream of Three Crops recipe. Budweiser uses only barley, rice, and corn in their beer. I do however think you should try out the potato starch for the sake of experimentation, I would add a little bit of corn or some finishing hops in though or else I think the beer might be on the too light side.

Brewed this today. Should have added the potato starch to the hot liquor to heat up as I heated up the water. I added the starch straight to the hot water in the MLT and got huge glue-like balls of powdery goo. Kind a pain.

But, I hit slightly higher OG, so I either got better efficiency on the pils malt or potato starch contributed more. But the beer is in the carboy and the wort tasted good, so we will see how the beer tastes in a couple weeks.

Back