Sprinkle Dry Yeast directly into starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunnlife

Reaction score
Would anyone see any problems sprinkling dry yeast directly on a starter wort without rehydrating? I was hoping to get a yeast starter already active before pitching.

No need for a starter with dry yeast. there are plenty of cells in there for a 5 gallon batch. you can either add it directly to the wort or rehydrate (recommended) before pitching.

Although many people still direct pitch dry yeast into the wort and seem to get fine results (I did it in a blonde ale not too long ago), it also doesn't take very long to rehydrate... water in a vial or cup, swish it around for 10 or 20 minutes...

No need for a starter with dry yeast. there are plenty of cells in there for a 5 gallon batch. you can either add it directly to the wort or rehydrate (recommended) before pitching.

Doesn't that sort of depend on the gravity?

Would anyone see any problems sprinkling dry yeast directly on a starter wort without rehydrating? I was hoping to get a yeast starter already active before pitching.

I don't normally use dry yeast, but I thought the proper method was to just rehydrate per the manufacturer's instructions. I don't think a starter is necessary.

Rehydrate and pitch. don't waste your time with a starter it's unnecessary. Dry yeast is super cheap just add another pack if you're brew a really big beer.

Rehydrate and pitch. don't waste your time with a starter it's unnecessary. Dry yeast is super cheap just add another pack if you're brew a really big beer.

My LHBS is $4.95 for 11.5g of yeast. DME is 13.95 for 3 lbs. Maybe your guy is cheaper than mine, but for me it's more cost effective to build a starter for a ten gallon batch. Otherwise, I'd agree with you on this, for a 5 gal batch.

Cool thanks guys. I did a 750 ml 1.036 starter and sprinkled a dry yeast pack directly on the chilled wort. I put it on a stir plate for 24 hours and took it off. I'm not seeing any activity like I've seen in the past. Anything to be worried about?

I'd agree with you on this, for a 5 gal batch.

Not trying to sound like an a$$, maybe I should it like this.^^^^ My point was he didn't specify a volume or OG. I just did my Christmas beer, 2 packs of yeast and a 3.5L starter. I forgot to buy my liquid yeast..but still the calculators were still calling for 4-5 packs of dry I think..and a massive multi step liquid starter.

well 10 gallons is a bit of a different story. Go for it if $5 is too much for another pack, hydrate first.

Yeast is, besides hops, one of the most expensive brewing ingredients.

Cool thanks guys. I did a 750 ml 1.036 starter and sprinkled a dry yeast pack directly on the chilled wort. I put it on a stir plate for 24 hours and took it off. I'm not seeing any activity like I've seen in the past. Anything to be worried about?

If it's been on 24 hrs, cold crash and pitch.

sometimes you won't see activity on starters because of its size. The fermentation process will happen so quickly you won't realize it happened. It should be good to go now after 24 hours

sometimes you won't see activity on starters because of its size.

Even my stir plate starters always get a small or sometimes large krausen on them.

IME, its more dependent on speed of the stir plate not size of the starter. Crank it up all the way, you probably won't see anything though. I make 1.5 - 4.5L starters.

Sprinkling dry yeast into a beer kills some of the yeast right? This is why people rehydrate. So I wonder, sprinkling yeast dry into a starter of 750 mL might end you up with the same amount of yeast had you just rehydrated and pitched.

Not trying to sound like an a$$, maybe I should it like this.^^^^ My point was he didn't specify a volume or OG. I just did my Christmas beer, 2 packs of yeast and a 3.5L starter. I forgot to buy my liquid yeast..but still the calculators were still calling for 4-5 packs of dry I think..and a massive multi step liquid starter.

It probably depends on the yeast calculator, as the Safale dry packs are said to have ~200 billion cells, but some calculators suggest much less. I've also read that if you don't rehydrate with water that that count can be cut by as much as 50%.

I don't know exactly what to say about yeast in general. Pitch it however, you'll get beer, but happy yeast do make better beer. In regards to some of those yeast calculators though, I would think that even with a HUGE OG beer of say 1.1 in a 5 gallon batch, 2 packets of dry yeast rehydrated would be adequate... 4-5 packets just sounds kind of crazy.

Sprinkling dry yeast into a beer kills some of the yeast right? This is why people rehydrate. So I wonder, sprinkling yeast dry into a starter of 750 mL might end you up with the same amount of yeast had you just rehydrated and pitched.

I have wondered about this also. So hypothetically, you could make a small starter, kill some of the yeast initially then end up with the same or less cells than you started with.

For a 10 gallon batch. You could make a starter, at 1.054 and assuming full viability you would need a little over a 2 liter starter. The cost of the DME would be about $2.32 so you would save only $2.62 by making the starter.

I would spend the $2.62 to pitch the extra pack of yeast and not have to make the starter.

If the beer was higher in gravity and you knew whether you were actually gaining any cell count, them maybe a starter would be worth the effort.

It probably depends on the yeast calculator, as the Safale dry packs are said to have ~200 billion cells, but some calculators suggest much less. I've also read that if you don't rehydrate with water that that count can be cut by as much as 50%.

I don't know exactly what to say about yeast in general. Pitch it however, you'll get beer, but happy yeast do make better beer. In regards to some of those yeast calculators though, I would think that even with a HUGE OG beer of say 1.1 in a 5 gallon batch, 2 packets of dry yeast rehydrated would be adequate... 4-5 packets just sounds kind of crazy.

I should have specified, OG 1.096, 10.5 gallon. So no, not crazy but adequate or consistent with your math.

I would rehydrate and pitch 2-3 packs with no starter into that OG and size batch. Safe ale would be my choice depending on style...

Here's my current favorite regarding dry yeast:

http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/01/dry-yeast-viability/

Latest posts

Back