Spring Wheat All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
This will be my first all grain beer and i made the recipe myself so any pointers on the recipe/ process would be great. Its a 5 gallon batch size.

Lb Oz
8 0 White Wheat malt
2 0 American Two-Row
0 9 Rye Malt
0 8 Flaked Wheat
0 8 Carmel Wheat Malt
0 8 Cara-pils
0 4 American Crystal 20

Boil 60 minutes 1.25 Oz Cascade
30 minutes .5 oz centennial
10 minutes 1 oz Amarillo
10 minutes 1 oz Coriander Seed
10 minutes 2 oz Orange Zest

Nottingham Yeast

Dry Hop for 7-10 days .5 oz Centennial and .5 oz Cascade

Color- 7 SRM
36.2 IBU
4.4% ABV

Im going for a wheat beer with more hoppy/floral taste to it but still with fruit undertones. Let me know what you think. Ill take any and all criticism. Thanks

That ratio of wheat may be tricky to lauter, especially since this is your first AG batch and you're not familiar with your system and your process.

Sounds yummy though!

I think the rye malt will get lost in the sea of wheat. I generally like to make rye beers or wheat beers, and not mix the two. I would definitely use a 1 lb of rice hulls in your MLT. You can probably go 6 lb wheat and 4 lb 2-row and get basically the same taste with much less hassle.

Crystal malts usually aren't used at all in wits or wheats. I like a hoppy wheat beer. You might be mixing things up a bit with the wit beer spices and the forward hops. I'd choose one or the other. Or split the batch and put the spices in one secondary and the dry hops in another.

I would increase the two-row and decrease the wheat. That's a lot of wheat percentage-wise.

Back