Spring time "seasonal"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryham

Reaction score
I'm looking at my empty primary, and thinking ahead to the upcoming spring. I've got enough in the supply line to last me until then, but I'm thinking of what would be a good crisp, refreshing, "welcome to spring" beer. I was thinking something along the lines of EdWort's Bee cave brewery Kolsch, or a session pale ale. I don't have the abilities to lager, so ale yeast is a must. I brew all grain w/ a 8 gallon stock pot, and 60 qt 'cube' mash tun, and batch sparge, so grain bill size isn't a big deal. I also bottle and bottle condition. I'm wanting a kegging setup, but saving $$ for the upcoming wedding in June is priority 1 at the moment.

Anybody have good suggestions for something like I'm looking for, or experience brewing something along those lines?

Thanks!

Personally I like a good pale ale or IPA for spring beers. Then while you're drinking your spring beer you can brew a good saison and/or wheat for summer beers.

I would look at what you have on tap and decide from there.

Personally, I am thinking about a blond or IPA...

the kolsch sounds like a good idea to me. think ill make one soon so it is ready come time to break out the lawnmower and roll away the winter hoopties

I've got 12 Belgian blonds left from a previous batch, with another 5 gallons in the secondary. I've got 1/2 a batch of oatmeal stouts left, and a freshly bottled batch of ESB that will be fully conditioned on the 24th. I haven't made an IPA in a long time, and the last batch was a Ruination clone that was awesome, but a heavy hitter. Maybe a SNPA clone, or a simple SMaSH pale ale.

I made a pretty dang killer blond recently. Really simple, cheap grain bill (which will help you save up for your keg!)

6 1/2 Lbs 2-Row
2 lbs White Wheat

1oz Hallertau Herbrucker @ 60
1oz Spalt @ 20

OG 1.045
FG 1.007
IBU 24

Yeast - US-5 fermented at 60F

My beers of choice for spring and summer are:

Witbier
Cream Common
Kolsch (with lemon zest)
Saison

Of course I still love any beer, any time of the year.

I agree about the any beer, any time of the year!

It just gets hard to come in after working in the yard, especially in the summer heat of 103 F with 90% humidity, and pop open a RIS as a thirst quencher.

I've never brewed a kolsch, saison, or cream style. How would you describe the saison and cream?

my personal choice for spring time is a nice hefe, just something about those that really bring out the spring for me.. i plan on making edworts Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, that or a nice pale ale will do too or even IPA

I agree about the any beer, any time of the year!

It just gets hard to come in after working in the yard, especially in the summer heat of 103 F with 90% humidity, and pop open a RIS as a thirst quencher.

I've never brewed a kolsch, saison, or cream style. How would you describe the saison and cream?

Saisons tend to be session abv strength, although some are higher. They are typically very dry, highly carbonated, slightly fruity and slightly spicy from the yeast and/or other spices.

My Cream Common is a pre-prohibition style. Medium-light bodied, subtle notes of malt, corn, and noble hops, paired with some very subtle fruity esters from the yeast.

The Cream Common is in my recipe dropdown (picture included). I just brewed a few Saisons but they are still in the fermenters. First time brewing any. I think they will turn out nice though.

Back