Spraying wort into fermenter as aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
Sorry guys if this sounds absurd, I'm a new kid in brewing and sometimes have "bright" ideas...
:eek:
OK, now I'm playing with an idea to use a spray head at the end of kettle to fermenter transfer line. Suppose we sanitize the spray head and the fermenter, then insert the head into fermenter through the airlock hole. After cooling the wort, we pump it into the fermenter through the spray head.
The wort turns into a mist of millions of tiny droplets with huge air to liquid surface.
Theoretically this could also cool the wort further down a degree or two (depressurization causes temperature drop).
Does this idea sound sane?
Has anyone tried?

Yep, should work, but remember that aeration can only lead to a maximum of 8ppm of oxygen (because of solubility of gases in liquid and the concentration of O2 in the air), which can be achieved by splashing or shaking. Spraying into a mist is overkill, and may possibly increase the risk of airborn infection (although it's unlikely).

Lots of brewers have made a venturi type of device.

One that I've seen work well is a piece of copper, with holes drilled into it, at the end of the siphon tubing (or off of the ball valve's tubing) so that the wort is aerated on the way to the fermenter.

The little white piece linked to above would work well also!

The little white thing works well AND it's very easy to sanitize.

Back