Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the ISS, but we have a weird halo around the moon tonight. I took a pic. 15s exposure. A plane with a blinking light went by during.

img_9441-64600.jpg

Cool pic.

I've seen this halo effect before with the sun, but don't seem to recall the rainbow phenomenon your pic seems to show - is that real?

Cool pic.

I've seen this halo effect before with the sun, but don't seem to recall the rainbow phenomenon your pic seems to show - is that real?

It just looks white to the naked eye, but just like a rainbow I suspect the light spectrum is getting spread and the camera is seeing the colors. I was just out there (with neighbor) and it's still up there.

Cool pic.

That halo is caused by ice particles in the upper atmosphere reflecting & refracting moonlight. Same phenomena, it's just that moonlight isn't as bright, so the rainbow effect is muted.
Regards, GF.

Sky Guide.

I bought this to help me look at the stars at night. It's pretty spectacular. You can look around in your house, then walk outside to see the real thing. You have to see it to believe it.

Tonight, I went out to look at the ISS going overhead and was flabbergasted to see it also racing across my Sky Guide screen. Turns out, Sky Guide has a $2 add-on that you can add that identifies all the satellites in the sky - I hadn't paid for this add-in, which is why is says "satellite" instead of ISS in the screenshot below. By "satellites", they mean the ISS, jettisoned space debris, Iridium and other comm satellites. Click on one of them for more information about the thing than you care to know. E.g., I just learned, after clicking on an Iridium satellite, that a new set of 77 Iridium satellites will be launched starting this year to significantly improve space-based satellite phone quality. I thought it was dead.

You can zoom in the normal 2-finger way, look "through the earth", search for stuff (e.g., click the magnifying glass, type in big dipper, and you'll see an arrow appear on the screen; just keeping turning, following the arrow, and bam there's your object). It also will give you notifications when astronomical events are going to happen (don't miss the next ISS passing or asteroid).

Very cool. Search and buy Sky Guide. I did not compare this to any other apps, but I saw my brother in California using it and bought.

img_0193-64841.png
img_0194-64842.png
img_0195-64843.png

Haha, if that's real, then that's not a good sign for any near-term success.

Oh no. It's real. Musk joked about it. Platform was only nominally charred. I didn't read the latest article but they believe if they put more fuel in it the additional weight will stabilize it.

Kinda sorry I didn't think of watching the ISS tonight. Was out xcountry skiing in 4' of snow and -3 degree weather.

platform.jpg

Found some pics on the surface of venus with some 3D radar mapping of the surface. Pics from Venera up to 13. They say Venus' atmosphere absorbs the blue spectrum. Some claims about lying about surface temps & pressure too. Enjoy the hilarity of some folks...

Nice pics though, & the only actual pics of the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found some pics on the surface of venus with some 3D radar mapping of the surface. Pics from Venera up to 13. They say Venus' atmosphere absorbs the blue spectrum. Some claims about lying about surface temps & pressure too. Enjoy the hilarity of some folks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSBpI79ZgF4
Nice pics though, & the only actual pics of the surface.

The russians have sent a bunch of missions to Venus. They've been focused in that direction, the U.S. in the other.

Venus has been very bright in the western sky lately, just after sunset. Mars has been right above it, and Jupiter in the east. Good stargazing in my area lately.

Early risers will see a full lunar eclipse in the AM. It's best for west US, where the full eclipse in the western sky won't be interrupted by sunrise, which is what I have to deal with here. I do have the advantage of living on the west coast of FL, so I can watch over the gulf of mexico.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2015Apr04T.pdf

Will look something like this (maybe!). Moon passes through the shadow cast by Earth. Red wavelengths refract into the umbra (shadow) and create the "blood moon".

[ame]https://vimeo.com/108712599[/ame]

I've a horrible cold and haven't slept much consistently the past few days. If I'm up, I'll check it out, but not really planning on it this time....especially since I took these last time :)

FB_IMG_1428106980535.jpg

I've a horrible cold and haven't slept much consistently the past few days. If I'm up, I'll check it out, but not really planning on it this time....especially since I took these last time :)

FB_IMG_1428106980535.jpg

I think I need to renew my spot the station email alerts, I haven't seen one in a awhile.

I use the Google Sky Map on my phone to look for interesting things, usually when sitting outside around a fire with my daughter looking for something cool to point out to her.

Italian astronaut Samantha Christoforetti aboard the ISS, wearing a Starfleet uniform while awaiting the docking of the Dragon capsule, which is bringing the 1st espresso machine designed to operate in zero G. And another shot of her in another Starfleet uniform.
Regards, GF.

SAMANTHACRISTOFORETTI.jpg

samanthacristoforetti2.jpg

Bill Nye, the science guy, is also the CEO of the Planetary Society. I think it used to be a mostly PR and educational endeavor, but they must have got some funding, because they built a space craft and launched it (I believe they launched one earlier on a Russian carrier that didn't make it to space :()

It's a Cubesat, or a small compact container that unfolds into a giant solar sail. Very cool. This stuff is so sci fi, but it's real too. Think about something about the size of a loaf of bread.

Anyway, Lightsail uses the sun's rays as motive force. I think it moves pretty slow, but given time it can speed up. Pretty cool. I heard about it on the Startalk Radio podcast, where Nye occasionally hosts for Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

http://sail.planetary.org/

Fans of Carl Sagan:

Here's a video I'm watching now from the New Horizons mission. It shows a 1st pic of Pluto, I assume, when it was nearing closest approach with data return time taken into account...

I've waited a lifetime to see this!

Saw this today and thought it to be related enough to be shareable.

ETA - link looks to be having problems. It's a video of the moon passing in front of the earth as taken by NASA.

Thanks for the link! I signed up for the messages, my oldest boy (6) loves everything related to space. He is going to excited to see the ISS, don't know if he'll be excited when I drag him out of bed in the early morning hours to see it though... On average how often a month do you have the possibility of seeing it transit?

Thanks for the link! I signed up for the messages, my oldest boy (6) loves everything related to space. He is going to excited to see the ISS, don't know if he'll be excited when I drag him out of bed in the early morning hours to see it though... On average how often a month do you have the possibility of seeing it transit?

A few times a month. They usually are on successive days. I don't get up for the early morning ones, but I watch the evening ones.

I text my neighbors and we all go out together and toast the ISS crew. Good times in the hood.

A few times a month. They usually are on successive days. I don't get up for the early morning ones, but I watch the evening ones.

I text my neighbors and we all go out together and toast the ISS crew. Good times in the hood.

Thanks!

Perseids peak the night of the 12th (Wed. 08/12/15). I won't be able to watch properly as I have to work, but I'll go outside for a few minutes a few times during my shift, I might be able to see some of the brighter ones.
Regards, GF.

Back