Spoiled/skunked beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
I have perhaps an unusual question. In real life, I work for an insurance company. In the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, one of our policy holders has submitted spoilage claim for his beer. His restaurant lost power on Sunday (and remains without power), and believes that because the beer in his walk-in cooler has now gotten warm, the beer is ruined and wants us to pay him for it.

I believe that it is unlikely there is any adverse affect, that it takes a lot more abuse to ruin beer than such a gradual warming.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for the topic, but I figured there must be some science behind the answer, be it ruined or not.

Call BS on that one. While it is true that beer remains stable longer at low temperature brief exposure to higher, but not excessively high, temperature for a day or two shouldn't have an effect. Ask him to taste fresh samples and the supposedly ruined stuff. The test should be a double blind triangle test if possible.

He may be confusing the nasty taste of warm BMC beer with spoilage. AJ's suggestion is the way to go, but be sure to insist he chill the beer back to tastelessness before he does the testing.

Call BS on that one. While it is true that beer remains stable longer at low temperature brief exposure to higher, but not excessively high, temperature for a day or two shouldn't have an effect. Ask him to taste fresh samples and the supposedly ruined stuff. The test should be a double blind triangle test if possible.

That was my thought. It is a restaurant, so the beer, as I understand it, consists of 8 or 9 kegs, and I think 18-20 cases of BMC, some Sam Adams, and some microbrews.

He's in the Boston area, so I thought about suggesting calling Sam Adams to see if we can have someone go over there. They won't want him selling their beer if it is oxidized or otherwise not fresh.

They've been out of power for 3 days now (still out, from what I understand). I don't know the current temperature of the cooler.

The cooler won't be hotter than it is outside, so unless it's been hitting 100F every day, there won't be a problem; but getting an expert opinion, as you suggest makes sense. It would be tough for them to argue with someone from SA.

Skunking requires exposure to sunlight. If he's claiming that, then he's just trying to get some extra cash.

Latest posts

Back