Split Batch Sour Stout Funktown Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoritzasu

Reaction score
HBTers,

I'm wanting to try my hand at some souring and was wondering if I could ask for some advice. I want to do a split batch for a stout/porter (recipe below) in which 3 gallons of wort will be fermented with only Wyeast 5526 (Brett L) and the other 3 gallons with The Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale yeast and dregs from a bottle of Goose Island Madame Rose.

My question is with the sour batch. I've read that the thinning/drying of a stout will render the roasted character undesirable. By using flaked barley will this be able to add enough body to the beer so that it doesn't thin out over time, or will the brett from the Funktown yeast end up eating all the body in the beer anyway? Also by using Special B, will this lend enough balance to help keep the roasted malts from dominating the beer as it thins? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.0 %
8.0 oz Black Malt (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
8.0 oz Carafa II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.0 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.0 %
0.90 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 21.1 IBUs

Mash in the mid 150's