Split Batch - Scottish Export and Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
56C31B02-EA3B-42F8-8B52-1C96B59DAC5A.jpeg
0585C95B-6BAD-4CBF-B255-CF21D9ED4ED5.jpeg
I like brewing split batches. Most of the time I’m splitting the wort and using different yeast. Maybe adding candi syrup to one to up the ABV.

Today I was brewing a Scottish Export and noticed that the BJCP style guide noted that the Export is similar to a Wee Heavy just lower in ABV.

I got the idea to at flameout run 3 gallons through my plate chiller which will be the Scottish Export.

I then added 15oz of DME to what was left in the kettle and boiled for 40 more minutes adding a second hop addition of English Select at 10 minutes.

I use 2.5 and 1.5 gallon kegs. So I will end up with a 2.5 gallon keg of Export and 1.5 gallon keg of Wee Heavy

Forgot I had posted about this split batch. The results of both were great. Taste and in competition. The Scottish Export took Second place at the 2020 Bluebonnet Brewoff in the Scottish Ale category.

The Wee Heavy advanced to the Mini Best of Show in the Wee Heavy category.

The judge picked up a little too much bitterness on the wee heavy which I could also. This was definitely from the long boil and not aging the beer long enough to allow the bitterness to fade. I use hop baskets so I will pull the hop basket out of the boil kettle next time.

What effect will that have not using the hot basket? Mine came in today and I’m planning on using it soon

What effect will that have not using the hot basket? Mine came in today and I’m planning on using it soon

Since I was just winging the Wee Heavy portion of the brew I had no idea what the extended boil would have on the bitterness of the beer. So I’m thinking since I have the hops in a basket I could just pull the hop basket from the boil which would remove the hops and stop isomeration of the hops and decrease the bitterness of the Wee Heavy.

Back