Spike v. Stout Kettle/MT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpathia

Reaction score
HBT: long time reader, first time (I think) poster; also x-post from reddit's home brew forum.

I'm finally looking to get back into brewing, and plan to do a two-tier two-vessel electric K-Rims build controlled by a hosehead controller, and I'm torn between Spike and Stout. I know Spike is pretty popular here, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on this site for Stout in the last year or so for their smaller (i.e. 5 to 10 gallon batch) sizes in the last year or two or there (i.e. I did try to use the search function).

I want welded ports, and tri-clover seems the easiest to clean after most every use. Spike is a bit cheaper, but both are honestly within about $50 of each other per vessel after factoring in all the fittings (of which I have none) that come with Stout.

I'm also curious about the pros and cons of going for a 15 gallon setup now vice a 10 gallon (the cost difference isn't that much). I plan to largely do 5 gallon batches until I figure out the system; is the jump to 10 gallons really worth it?

I'll note that the 9.8 gallon stout doesn't appear to be able to use the ULWD ripple elements, especially the ones from brewhardware that have a TC clamp/plug pre-welded (Spike appears to use the same ones). I can't seem to find a 110v hosehead controller, nor am I aware of a shorter, straight, pre-welded 220v element (the extra cost of an element enclosure seems to be more than just upgrading the pot to the next size up).

Thanks!

brewhardware element enclosures were under $20 the last time I bought one... an element like this wont fit even when taking the length of the TC ferrule into account?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/240V-5500W...d=322762942478&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851.

Stout has been selling these kettles much longer than anyone else I know of but they focus mainly on the nano and micro brewing sales market these days and dont do as much promoting for the homebrewing products which are honestly much heavier built than other competitors products and some would argue they are overkill for the application. I have no complaints about the stout conical I own and find it superior in form and function to an older chinese made and directly sold conical that appears to be made the same way but without the quality to fit and finish that stout speced on their inventory orders.

an element like this wont fit even when taking the length of the TC ferrule into account?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/240V-5500W...d=322762942478&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851.

From Stout (when I asked) for the 9.8 gallon pot:

The electrical element in the link you sent me is 13.5” from the TC fitting to the end. The inner diameter of this kettle is 12.5” Although the TC ferrule will add more space to it. I am not entirely sure this particular one will fit.

Back