Spike Brewing Custom Kettle Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that until now I thought most kettles by and large did about the same thing. Spike Brewing has proved me wrong...

I purchased a custom 15 gallon Spike Brew Kettle to replace my current 15g stainless Kettle I bought at my LHBS. I am an all electric brewer (built it all myself) and for the most part my Kettle has been adequate since I bought it. The first thing I noticed about the new Spike Kettle is that it weighed a lot more and the stainless was easily twice the thickness of my generic pot. The tri-clad bottom of the kettle was very surprising and I fell in love with it immediately. I purchased one of Spike's proprietary elements as well and I can say it's nothing short of amazing. This will be a breeze to clean. The pick-up tubes from Spike were also amazing. So glad I bought them. Makes pick-up and whirlpool a cinch.

The thing I like best about the Kettle is the way it holds the heat. The thicker stainless seems to hold and maintain temp a lot easier.

Pro's-
-welded fittings
-tri-clad bottom and overall thickness
-heat retention

Con's-
-some of the welds appear to have an imperfection but still functional
-cost- sometimes you just gotta pay for quality and this is one of those times
-once you buy one you want more

This was the final piece to get all stainless in my setup. HLT is my original stainless kettle, mash tun is a 15g Chapman insulated tun and brew Kettle is my 15g Spike.

I also have a RIMS but now seems like a herms coil is in order.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489296396.870392.jpg

Sorry for the dark picture but my lighting isn't so good in my basement brewery, it's a work in progress.

Thanks Spike for such a great product. If anyone wants to donate a herms coil with fittings to me that would be great. LOL

RDWHAHB

I am putting together a similar brew system but using gas for the actual boil. I already have the 15 gallon chapman and wanted to get any advice or things you would do differently with your RIMS setup. I already have the controller built with a PID and RTD for the RIMS so just down to getting the hardware piece sorted out.

Thinking of going with brewhardware and adding a site glass to it.

Thanks,
Jeff

I would have spent the money on herms instead of building my own rims. The rims tube (at least mine) is bulky and awkward. Now that I have three vessels it seems kin of pointless to have the rims tube when the only component missing is the herms coil.

I used to do brew in a bag so the rims made a lot of sense then but now the Chapman holds temp I don't even really need the rims to do anything other than recirc if I want. My efficiency has been above 80% without recirc so other than maybe some extra clarity in the wort it doesn't really seem to matter.

Let me start by saying that until now I thought most kettles by and large did about the same thing. Spike Brewing has proved me wrong...

I purchased a custom 15 gallon Spike Brew Kettle to replace my current 15g stainless Kettle I bought at my LHBS. I am an all electric brewer (built it all myself) and for the most part my Kettle has been adequate since I bought it. The first thing I noticed about the new Spike Kettle is that it weighed a lot more and the stainless was easily twice the thickness of my generic pot. The tri-clad bottom of the kettle was very surprising and I fell in love with it immediately. I purchased one of Spike's proprietary elements as well and I can say it's nothing short of amazing. This will be a breeze to clean. The pick-up tubes from Spike were also amazing. So glad I bought them. Makes pick-up and whirlpool a cinch.

The thing I like best about the Kettle is the way it holds the heat. The thicker stainless seems to hold and maintain temp a lot easier.

Pro's-
-welded fittings
-tri-clad bottom and overall thickness
-heat retention

Con's-
-some of the welds appear to have an imperfection but still functional
-cost- sometimes you just gotta pay for quality and this is one of those times
-once you buy one you want more

This was the final piece to get all stainless in my setup. HLT is my original stainless kettle, mash tun is a 15g Chapman insulated tun and brew Kettle is my 15g Spike.

I also have a RIMS but now seems like a herms coil is in order.

View attachment 392369

Sorry for the dark picture but my lighting isn't so good in my basement brewery, it's a work in progress.

Thanks Spike for such a great product. If anyone wants to donate a herms coil with fittings to me that would be great. LOL

RDWHAHB

i was wondering which pick up tubes you have? i just bought myself a 15 gallon spike and have side pickups which assuming you do as well cause you mentioned whirlpool...i have a solid gallon of liquid left over before the clad bottom even starts..now this is just a water leak test and realize true and hop waste are going to be accountable for some of this,buti t sure seems a lot,,and im thinking i will have to sparge with a solid extra gallon,,any though on this or what did you do to compensate? thanks

i was wondering which pick up tubes you have? i just bought myself a 15 gallon spike and have side pickups which assuming you do as well cause you mentioned whirlpool...i have a solid gallon of liquid left over before the clad bottom even starts..now this is just a water leak test and realize true and hop waste are going to be accountable for some of this,buti t sure seems a lot,,and im thinking i will have to sparge with a solid extra gallon,,any though on this or what did you do to compensate? thanks

Did you have a hose connected when you drained? If you just drain out the bottom hole with no hose, it'll only drain to the level of the outlet. With a hose attached, it'll drain down to the bottom and leave very little in the kettle. I think mine leaves about a cup and a half.

I don't have a spike kettle, but I use their side pickup tube. It works really well.

Did you have a hose connected when you drained? If you just drain out the bottom hole with no hose, it'll only drain to the level of the outlet. With a hose attached, it'll drain down to the bottom and leave very little in the kettle. I think mine leaves about a cup and a half.

I don't have a spike kettle, but I use their side pickup tube. It works really well.
I did not and my common sense apparently wasn't working that day, waiting on a few fittings and should be brewing this weekend, thank you for the response sir!!

Hey Grubs. Did you find the answer to your problem? I just got the Spike kettle and having the same problem. It’s a lot of wort to leave in the brew kettle. I was thinking of using the other end so it’ll sit flat on the bottom of the kettle

Hey Grubs. Did you find the answer to your problem? I just got the Spike kettle and having the same problem. It’s a lot of wort to leave in the brew kettle. I was thinking of using the other end so it’ll sit flat on the bottom of the kettle

Make sure you have a hose in the outside of the kettle below the valve so a siphon is created. Common mistake during first use.

I will have to agree.....I love my 10g spike kettle.. since drainage has been brought up, does anyone know how much trub will get into the fermentor without doing a whirlpool?

Redpappy, that will be more dependant on your hop bill and pump speed than any other factor. I've found with any kettle whirlpool or not, letting everything sit pre-transfer for 15 minutes or so helps reduce trub pickup. I have a Spike 15gal BK that does a great job transferring off the side with lightly kettle hopped beers. With super hopped IPAs, I've had trub well over the step even with a beautiful cone from the whirlpool in the center of the kettle. For what it's worth, I don't get overly concerned about trub pickup since I switched to fermenting in a conical. If you go that route, transfer cooled worth to the conical and let it sit still for 30 min. Then dump trub from the bottom port before pitching. It's magical.

Latest posts

Back