spidermites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooKeeper

Reaction score
Anyone else having a lot of problems with spider mites? They are destroying my cascades. Tried some Liquid Ladybug but I don't think it is doing the job.

No spidermites for mine, but they are hard to get rid of. If there are no cones yet I would use Sevin. If there are cones I would think you have to use an organic remedy.

thx, but I doubt I will use Sevin as it is not labeled for it & there are reports that it actually increases infestation.

Deciding to go with a Neem oil treatment daily for a week to see if I can get rid or them that way & will then probably do a weekly treatment to keep them gone (if it works).

Another option for mite control is to make a solution of liquid dish soap and water and spray your plants with that. The soap contains surfactants that help overcome the hydrophobic coating on the mites and they drown from the water. You have to soak the plants down to get the best effect.

Its not totally effective, but it is safe, organic, and pesticide free. You can get one of those hose-end sprayers and fill the tank with a strong dish soap solution and then you'll be able to reach all of the bine areas. If your concerned about dosing your hops with a pesticide, this is a decent control measure. You will have to do it more than once.

Or do like I said before,& buy some lady bugs at the garden center. They're cheap,& love eating aphids & spider mites.

I am amazed that Spinosad ("Sucess" trade name) is registered for spider mites. It is almost useless against them and is only slightly effective against it's primary target: thrips. All over the world growers are having problems with thrips gaining resistance to spinosad, it has been taken off of the market some states, and they are still allowing it to be used against spider mites? That is crazy, but I guess Dow is just following the money...again...

uniondr - Ladybugs will eat some spider mites, but they aren't really worth the money. Heck, they are barely worth the money when battling aphids.

Back