spider mites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrvstar1100

Reaction score
while drying my hops on a screen my 6 yr old noticed lots of spider mites. are my hops ruined or will they be ok after drying?

My beds were besieged by the most amazing/appalling 2-spotted spider mite invasion this season, and considering the scope of the ensuing war (my side of the battle went from containment to making the rubble bounce) I have no doubt that there are plenty o' their casualties resting in the ~ 4 pounds (dry) of Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade cones bagged and chilling in the freezer.

The way I figure it, it'll all be sterile after the boil, and who knows, maybe the wee bit of extra protein will help keep the heads high ;)

But I will definitely not be dry-hopping with any of these. But that's ok - I never dry-hop with my home growns, just 'cuz I know they were "challenged by wildlife".

Which is ironic, because I'll dry hop using commercial grown without giving any consideration that they were most likely not grown in a pest & predator-free environment.

Clearly, ignorance really can be bliss...

Cheers!

I like spider mites. I found that they add extra flavor to the brew. Boiling them adds an extra "protein rest" to the brewday. My Spider Brew could not be made without them.

beerloaf

I think it goes with the territory with home grown hops...I saw a few tiny things scurrying under the screen as I was bagging my dried stash, but figured the "seal a meal" treatment, plus freezing, and then boiling at brewing, would take care of any microscopic pests that remained on the cones...

Back