Spicey winter ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alestar

Reaction score
Hello there. I have just successfully brewed my first batch of homebrew. And it tastes good! I went with a box set the first time (a decent one, not a cheap skanky one mind you), but for my second attempt I'd like to try concocting a brew of my own. I was hoping some of you very helpful gents and gentesses could tell me if I'm vaguely on the right lines, or making lots of newbie mistakes:

5.5 gallon brew (6.6 US gallons)

3 kg (6.6lb) Light LME
1 kg (2.2lb) Amber DME
1 kg (2.2lb) Crystal 80 crushed grain

( Should be OG 1.062-1.072 depending on how much sugar comes out of the grain)

Pacific Gem hops (~14%) 1oz @ 60 mins
1oz @ 10 mins
1oz @ 0 mins
Stick of cinammon and 100g (4oz) orange peel both in with the first lot of hops.
Irish moss @ 10 mins.

( Should be 53 IBUs)

Grain to be steeped first, and the wort from this added to the brewpot with the LME and DME. (I'm not going to mash anything, but want to have some proper fresh grains like big grown-up brewers do :p )
Will boil with additions as above. Cool with my new immersion chiller (that Santa is going to bring, even if I have to buy it for him!), aerate with new aerator (ditto), and whop some Wyeast Scottish strain in the primary. Siphon to secondary when bubbling subsides. Siphon to keg two weeks later. Twiddle thumbs. Drink.

Is this likely to give me the strong, spicey, fruity winter ale that I desire, or is it likely that I've got something wrong? Any feedback is much appreciated. :)

I'd cut the orange peel in half and save the rest for "dry hopping" in the secondary if needed.

Back