spiced belgian strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
im doing a belgian that has 5 lbs light dme, 2 lbs wheat dme, 1 lb honey and 1 lb candi sugar, and 1lb of steeping grains. the kit also comes with 1 tbsp ground corriander and 1/2 oz bitter orange peel. i am using wyeast 1214 belgian abbey

i am considering adding 1 star of anise, 1 vanilla bean, and perhaps some orange zest as well.

does this sound like a good spice combination? i am just looking for some good advice, opinions or feedback on this.

thanks!

that looks like a strong Witbier.

Keep to the recipe, orange zest is fine, anise and vanilla might throw you off.

This will probably taste like a Hoegaarden with kick.

I have made a couple 1gal experiment batches of wines and meads using Star-anise, and so far all I can say is that it is a VERY strong flavor. Using one star in a 1gal batch is too much, but it seems to mellow with time ... hopefully a lot. Meads and wines are no where near the same as a belgian beer, but I would caution you to be careful with the anise, and use less that you think you should.

the recipe looks good (the original). i'd stick with it, and wouldn't alter it. belgian recipes are excellent, but don't bear much alteration. go with the kit (and your excellent yeast choice), and enjoy

Latest posts

Back