spent grain under soil topping during seeding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sushieater

Reaction score
I've got about a 30'x30' grass backyard that I'm planning to add a topping of soil and overseed shortly.

Is there any benefit to spreading out my spent grains around the yard before I add the soil? Would this help add organic content? Or does this add no benefit if I don't compost first?

I don't know, but here in Florida we have grass that is runners with leaves coming off of them (St Augustine, I think) The runners are mostly above the soil (sand, here) with voids in between. I haven't started composting here, but have begun to spread the spent grain on the lawn, then rake it down under the blades of grass.

I haven't seen anything negative.... OR positive. I don't think there is much good stuff left in the grains after brewing.

Though if you have clay in your soil the added husks may make it drain better.

I avoid putting spent grain anywhere in my garden because rats love that stuff. I put spent grains in my composter once and had a major rat infestation

Generally uncomposted material is bad, as the process of breaking down the materials ties up a lot of nitrogen....which your young grass seedlings will eventually need. This is why you used finished compost or well composted manure, and don't just bury food scraps and animal poo next to your garden plants.....they will end up nitrogen starved until the material is well on its way to being broken down.

If it really isn't a lot of grain vs soil....it will probably be fine.

Back