Speidel fermentors - now with stainless rotating racking arm!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did this to one of my speidels, damned expensive mod. Little return. My opinion.
The stock valves on the speidels for me have been leak free and allow the use of 1/2" hose. The new one needs smaller hose = longer transfer.

Did anyone figure out what size drill you would need? I just ordered the parts to do this and don't have a caliper to measure it myself. Thanks all for the great info.

I used a step bit, and turned it by hand since the plastic is so soft. I drilled a small pilot hole then used the step bit checking at each step to test fit, I think it was 1/2, but the step bit worked much better than a regular auger style bit.

Anyone do this conversion recently? I'm having a hell of a time finding a stainless steel racking arm. Looked at SSBrewtech and didn't see anything. Any thoughts?

EDIT: nevermind....found it

Last edited:
I also did this mod to my Speidel a while ago works great, but I also added the SSbrewtech Thermowell and digital thermometer.
Noobie (to this fermenter) question: about how much beer do you guys think is in the fermenter pictured in this post? (post #40, if the picture doesn't come through in the quote.)

Is this 60 liters? or is 60 liters the full flood capacity of the tank? (in which case this would seem to be about 10-11 gallons, I'm guessing, maybe as much as 12?)

In the Picture is the 60L Speidel w/10 Gallons of Wort (Coffee Stout). 60L is the max capacity of this Speidel model (15.9 Gallons). I've done 12 Gallon batches in this as well.

I've also done this Mod to the 30L (7.9 gal) Speidel which I've fermented 3.5-6 gallon batches in.

I got them from MoreBeer who have Speidel sales maybe once or twice a year, and the additional parts directly from SSbrewtech.

Back