Speedy finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpride1911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in a unique position right now. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and came to realize that I love beer and am tired to putting off my goal of home brewing. So, I sort of went overboard these last few weeks and ordered EVERYTHING that I need to build a Brutus 10 style rig within days of my returning home and everything to go with it. Basically the ingredients are the only things left to buy.

So my question is, while I am fully prepared for a variety of techniques and look forward to lagering and aging; I'm wondering about a recipe or beer style that completes fermentation and is ready for kegging (not bottling) quickly. After spending a year in one of the worst parts of AFG, I'm really looking forward to sipping my own beer with friends, while I have several more beers, sitting in carboys taking their time.

Any suggestions? I understand that the taste may not be premium with this request.

Thanks.

Matt :rockin:

For sure make a starter. There's a really good article on mrmalty.com that talks about how to make a starter. Since I started doing this I've seen greatly reduced lag and fermentation times. This will get you ready to bottle faster. Do an ale, lagers take a lot longer to ferment because of the lower temperatures required. Wyeast 1056 American Ale ferments pretty quick for me, usually hitting FG in less than a week. I've heard the California Super yeast is really fast too. Maybe do an amber or pale ale with one of those yeasts?

Good luck, and thank you for your service!

Basically anything with a starting gravity of 1.050 or less can be ready to go to keg in two weeks or less even. Centennial Blonde, Cream of 3 Crops, and about 90% of Yoopers recipes not including the wines and mead can all be ready in that time period.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Hopefully if you've never brewed before you can try and learn with one of these low stakes brews.

Have to agree, 1.050 OG is the magic number. With a good starter or a dry yeast, you can ferment, settle and keg in two weeks. Another week and it's good to go. I know people that have made Russian Imperian stouts in a week, grain to tap, but they are very experienced and use filters to speed clarification.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I do have a 2 liter flask and stir bar to throw together a stir plate when I get home too. The last few months can't go by fast enough. I'll post updates in early December when I can pour the first one.

First off, thanks for serving! Second, the starter is a great move. I would recommend the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale (All-grain). You can find it in the recipe section of forum under American Pale Ale. I used White Labs Yeast Super San Diego WLP090 with that and went grain to glass with forced carbonation (in a keg) in a week. Your mileage may vary....I've got a few under my belt so I know when to pull it. Patience is a great virtue when brewing. Welcome to homebrewing!

Thanks for your service! Most wheat beers are ready pretty quickly and extremely tasty. I also agree with the 1.050 OG rule of thumb for no aging required. Anything over that and it should taste "hot" when very young. Still drinkable, just not at its peak...

Wheat beers were definitely what I was already thinking since the clarity wasn't going to be a factor with them.

I just got strange and surprising news this evening here. I'll be home about very soon, and will be able to get started about 2 months ahead of schedule. This is by far the biggest thing that I'm looking forward to doing when I get home. :mug:

Back