Speedy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Wagon

Reaction score
I started a batch of chocolate stout this past saturday evening, it had an OG of 1.074, i checked the gravity today because it had almost stopped bubbling alltogether and it was down to about 1.020, this seems unusually fast, is this normal or has something gone awry

I had a milk stout that accidently got up to about 75 degrees for primary and it was done in 2 days. I put it in secondary and left it for a few weeks and bottled. Still tasted great.

why are you going to cool it down? what temp is it going at now? I also did a Choco Stout on Sat, crazy. My OG was lower than yours though, about 1.065. I haven't check the gravity on it yet. will probably wait untill sunday when I brew my IPA, and do it then.

Cheers

I pitched my 1.045 Long Trail Ale clone on sunday afternoon with a smack pack, it was pretty much through the violent ferment (side temp said 75*F most of the time) by tuesday morning...it is still bubbling once every 20 seconds or so though, I am going to wait until the weekend to rack it and take a SG then.

Latest posts

Back