Spec's.... Will you marry me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This past week I was in Houston burning some vacation time and stopped by the Spec's downtown and wow....... I was overwhelmed. The selection at home is terrible, so to see that many options was amazing. I am sure some of you see selections like this all the time but for me it was huge. We have beer stores with that much beer by volume but it is 95% BMC. I visited St. Arnold's brewery while I was there and was equally blown away by the new facility. The pint glass coozies they sell are awesome. Below are the new additions to the menu. :mug:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute
Dogfish Head 90 Minute
Dogfish Head Indian Brown
Real Ale Sampler Pack
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
North Coast Old Rasputin
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Troubadour Magma
Great Divide 16th Anniv. Wood Aged DIPA
Belhaven Scottish Ale
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan
North Coast Brother Thelonius
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Lagunitas Special Release Cappuccino Stout
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Old Speckled Hen
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Pike Brewing Extra Stout
Insanely Bad Elf
Fuller's ESB
Birra Dolomiti
Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale
Chimay Blue Label
Delirium Tremens
All of the St. Arnolds Brews
(Tasted all 8 of the brews at BJ's [Brewed at St. Arnold apparently])

a7f09a25.jpg

56dd1578.jpg

169d2361.jpg

d37f5b83.jpg

I need to get to drinking.... Anyone want to help? :tank:

HA! I wasn't too excited about my bill but I looked at it as if I am wanting to broaden my beer horizons, then I need to try as many different things as I can. This is the only way to without brewing it myself and it also gives me a good example of what they "should" taste like.

I go to that Spec's about 2-4 times a week which entails $50+ a visit. Last time I went I left with every Avery and Moylans beer in the building. Spec's is both a phenomenal and ****ty selection at the same point. I am not sure how to rate it.

Hahaha! Mississippi Mud and Arrogant Bastard only 1 bottle apart... Fortunatly, here in Greenville, we have a great beer selection, on tap, bottle, and growler station, but I haven't seen MM since college... I think it more resembled a Yuengling Black & Tan, more than a Guinness/Bass combo-if I'm not mistaken. Enjoy!

yeh i've been in houston by entire legal drinking age life.. so I appreciate the selection they have. I don't go downtown, but they built a new one right by my house, the new ones are huge.. it has about 200' linear feet of beers.. with about 100' of that being micro.

I didn't know Mississippi Mud was still around! My dad used to drink the crap out of that stuff when I was young.

yike! you have a serious drinking problem, but there's help out there if you want it.

Now, box all that beer up and send it to me to start the healing process.

nice score, by the way.

Dude,

Nice beer run. I am from Houston originally (my parents still live there) and Spec's goes off when it comes to beer. I can remember being a kid and my Dad asking them to bring in beers of his liking from around the globe and they would do what they could to get it in. That place is legit. I now reside in OK where good beer is available but not as plentiful as Specs' scene.

Nice work.

In a pinch I also frequent Central Market downtown Houston. Went there tonight and Mississippi Mud was $2.99, but the big score was Dogfish Indian Brown Ale... sold out everywhere

I grew up in Houston and fell in love with Specs. I have had serious withdraws since moving to Dallas 3 years ago.

Old Speckled Hen? Ack. Ack.

But, there are a few great ones there!

Arrogant Bastard of course, Brother Thelonious, and my favorite of the bunch - 3 Philos. That's good beer!

Some of them I had heard of before but others I had no clue. The mississippi mud didn't sound promising but it was cheap and had a cool bottle compared to the others. There were too many to choose from so I just grabbed a basket full and checked out. I think my tab was in the $250 range after grabbing a few bottles of wine for the SWMBC (She Who Must Be Considered - since we are not married :D ) to keep her smiling.

This past week I was in Houston burning some vacation time and stopped by the Spec's downtown and wow....... I was overwhelmed. The selection at home is terrible, so to see that many options was amazing. I am sure some of you see selections like this all the time but for me it was huge. We have beer stores with that much beer by volume but it is 95% BMC. I visited St. Arnold's brewery while I was there and was equally blown away by the new facility. The pint glass coozies they sell are awesome. Below are the new additions to the menu. :mug:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute
Dogfish Head 90 Minute
Dogfish Head Indian Brown
Real Ale Sampler Pack
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
North Coast Old Rasputin
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Troubadour Magma
Great Divide 16th Anniv. Wood Aged DIPA
Belhaven Scottish Ale
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan
North Coast Brother Thelonius
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Lagunitas Special Release Cappuccino Stout
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Old Speckled Hen
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Pike Brewing Extra Stout
Insanely Bad Elf
Fuller's ESB
Birra Dolomiti
Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale
Chimay Blue Label
Delirium Tremens
All of the St. Arnolds Brews
(Tasted all 8 of the brews at BJ's [Brewed at St. Arnold apparently])

a7f09a25.jpg

56dd1578.jpg

169d2361.jpg

d37f5b83.jpg

I need to get to drinking.... Anyone want to help? :tank:

I grew up in Houston and I miss specs more than my parents ;-) Seriously I remember when the downtown location was the only one and I used to make it a 1/2 day shopping trip. Im glad you enjoyed it!
:ban:

Latest posts

Back