Specific gravity of sugar dissolved in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exfermentation

Reaction score
Dear Homebrew forum

I've been making a few batches of wine based on Rose hip (Rosa Rogusa) - basically it's just water, sugar and wild yeast found on the outside of the fruit.
Its very tasteful indeed.

But so far i've struggled to make out the final alchohol percentage.
My vinometer shows around 16-18% on different readings - and from basic research from different sources online there is an uncertainty of the readings from the vinometer.

Therefore i've tried to use af Hydrometer/Saccharometer/Oechsle-weight to figure out the Specific Gravity from my water solution - but the problem is that my hydrometer is maxed out on the scale 1.130 when its immersed in the solution.

Questions
What is the Specific Gravity in a water solution with 500 grams of sugar dissolved in 1 liter of water? Any link to a table or equation is appreciated.
Is there a method, used for homebrewing, to measure the precise alchohol percentage of a spirit?

I hope to hear from you, and thanks for taking your time.
Dearest, Jakob

What you need is your reading after mixing at the beginning the original gravity and then the reading once fully fermented to give you Final gravity.
Use those numbers in this calculator and you will get your pretty close percent alcohol.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Thanks for the input! Im aware that i need a reading for OG and FG to make the calculation.
However my hydrometer-scale is maxed out when its immersed in the sugar-solution with the following specs:
500 g sugar
1000 g of water

Is there a way to find OG for this solution - a table, equation or through simple math?

Hope to hear from you!

Yes! Pretty easy.

Convert to Brix, and then to SG, i.e.

%Br (g/g) = grams dissolved sugar / grams aqueous solution

%Br = 500 / (500 + 1000) = 33.3

Use any of the calculators online to convert Brix to SG (the formula is nonlinear), for example Brewers Friend:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/
33.3 Br = 1.145 SG

Last edited:
Using the sugar wash calculator linked by me above, easier for you as you will know the volume I got this.
Screenshot_20220205-080734.png

use a refrac, AND hydrometer...you can tell the ABV with a calc....

going to do it on my sugar wash right now....

for a vintometer, is they ever do work, it has to be totally dry.....no sugar present....

SG equals (W + S)/ (W + 0.625S)

Where W is water in litres and S is sugar in kg.

I'm not sure where I got that from, but I used it last week and it seemed to work.

Thanks for the replies! And the OG close to 1.142
I was a bit skeptic concerning my hydrometer reading around 1.140 and got confused by all sorts of tables and calculators online.

But my skepticism is now burried.
Once again thanks for the replies, even those who came in late.

Dearest regards, Jakob

Back