Specific Gravity - Effected by Straining wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeIsbell

Reaction score
So, I recently forgot to sanitize my strainer for a batch of beer so I just poured it into the primary fermenter without straining it. I took a sample to measure specific gravity and it got me to thinking...

Will the solution/sediment that is in the beer effect my specific gravity measurement? It seems like it would but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

Thanks!
Joe

Uh no, it wont.....you specific graivty has to do with the amount of sugar in solution, NOT any crud you may have in your fermenter.

Choosing to strain or dump everything into your fermenter makes no difference outside of your preference. It all makes beer. I have strained at times and have dumped all in the fermetner, and it makes little difference to the finished product.

I have strained at times and have dumped all in the fermetner, and it makes little difference to the finished product.

So, taste wise, you never noticed more or less hop character by just dumping it all into the fermenter? Do you have any recommendation one way or another?

I used to use "hop bags" to contain the hops during the boil. Now I just dump everything in the primary. I agree with Revvy, I notice little/no flavor difference in the finished product. I have heard that the beer might not be as clear, but again, I never noticed a difference. I use Whirlfloc as well so there is quite a bit of sediment going into the fermenter. Most of the time I will have about 1/2 to 1 gallon of sediment I rack off of. I still end up with very clear beer. :mug:

So, taste wise, you never noticed more or less hop character by just dumping it all into the fermenter? Do you have any recommendation one way or another?

Nope. It's like so many things in this hobby, purely a matter of what works for you, with the outcome being the same...it all makes beer. :mug:

You will find that there is very little "right way" to do things in brewing, just the preffered way.

Back