Specialty malts when supplementing with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmrea

Reaction score
I am planning an imperial stout and I am looking for a higher ABV than my all grain system will allow, so I am planning on supplementing with extract. Should I increase the amount of specialty grains to compensate for the extract? I plan to treat the the extract as a comparable amount of the base grains.

That would largely depend on the extract: if you're using a super low SRM extract you might want to boost some of your specialty grains, but otoh if you're using a super dark extract, not so much...

Cheers!

I brewed an Imperial on the 21st January. I did my own recipe AG as per usual, 15L full volume Biab - mashed @ 68°c.
Screenshot_20230224-220903.png

Then added the LME from a very decent Stout kit here in England
for a total volume of 18L.
1562080033_2339.jpg
I too was concerned about the levels the speciality grains would have combined with the kit LME, but was very happy with every sample, I just didn't hop the main mash as that would've been overkill with the pre-hopped LME, especially in a Stout.

O.G 1.095 - F.G 1.018
Bottled with 10ml Vanilla infused white rum 8/2/23.
Pre-bottling sample was very promising so can't wait to crack one open for my 50th in the autumn.
:mischievous:

Last edited:
More water and more base malts along with increase in boil time. Or increase any added sugars.

You are just asking about whether you should change the amounts of the specialty grains to match the other increases and not that they be the way to increase OG significantly themselves... right?

If the former, I'd tend not to increase them and aim them for what the final target amount to the FV is going to be. Otherwise you'd be concentrating them during the extended boil.

as a rule of thumb the ratios of specialty grain is the key to most recipes. So if you are just substituting extract for base malt, it shouldn't need to change the adjuncts. If on the other hand, the amounts aren't one for one equivalents then you might need to weeks them.

On another note, using less base malt in the mash might affect the ph and water profile.

I would plug your new recipe in your brew software to verify these factors.

There is no perfect answer that applies to all beers but for darker/rich styles, specialty malt percentages are more tied to the batch size and their affect on final beer color and roast flavor. For an Imperial stout, I would leave all the amounts the same and just increase the gravity with an extract that matches the color of the base malt. E.G. Golden Light for Pale Malts.

The one place it gets a little tricky is when you're cutting back on more characterful base malts like Munich when you can't get a similar varietal extract. In those cases, I would up the percentage of the Munich that you do use since that flavor will definitely be diluted by a more generic extract.

I am planning an imperial stout and I am looking for a higher ABV than my all grain system will allow,
You can add Vodka, or sometimes I'll get Jack Daniels's Barrell chips (sold for use in a smoker) and add Rebel Yell or similar low priced bourbon, let it soak for a week or so, and then add the bourbon to increase ABV.

Latest posts

Back